bartolinis in modulus flea???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kirby, Mar 6, 2003.

1. kirby

Feb 24, 2003
    modulus flea has that very distinctive sound when plucked hard (for example - arond the world intro) before i tried it, i thought it was some kinda effect... im thinking of making, well not exactly me, i know people who know people LOL, a warmer sounding bass (mahogany or something like that) with that pickups so i can get that effect when playing hard... or is the trick in composite neck?
    im sorry if this has already been asked, couldnt find it, im new...

thanks alot
  2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I believe that he is just using a distortion effect. I think it is built into GK Heads, which are mostly what he plays now.

At least he uses distortion on the intro to the song. I don't think he does for the rest of it.
  3. kirby

Feb 24, 2003
    thats the trick, he isnt using any! i got that effect through a fender amp, sounding same. i also heard it recorded through a computer with the same effect. could it be that the pickups have boosted gain so they overdrive when the vibration of the string is bigger??? is it the wiring? is it a bird?
  4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I don't know, but the pickup in the Flea Bass he uses is a Lane Poor, as I remember. But you can't get those, so now they come with Seymour Duncans I think.

I know that some also had Bartolinis in them to, but I think his one was special, or all of the first batch had Lane Poors.
  5. kirby

Feb 24, 2003
    on modulus site i saw they put barts or basslines pickups in it. is it still possible to find that lane poors somewhere?
    but its definetly not the neck? im right on that one?
    material cant have that kind of impact on sound...
  6. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    You could probably get lane poors, but that would be a pain, and I don't think that is the key to the sound that you want, anyway. It think a large part of his sound is in the him, rather than pickups.

But, what do I know?:D
  7. kirby

Feb 24, 2003
    him, you mean the player? i agree totally but i cant overdrive sound with my bass (p/j) no matter how hard i play. i really like how that modulus feels on different styles of playing, but i like warmer sound, it sounds a bit "thin" in my opinion. im no luthier or electronics expert, just a stupid kid. thats why im here. :D
  8. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i know Flea gets his sound with his GK but he also uses a ODB-3 Boss distortion pedal for some things (I cant find anything stating which parts of which songs he uses the ODB-3 on, but Around The World would be a good guess).. I can get that sound if I turn everything on my RBI up full, turn everything on my stingray up full, and use the blend knob on the RBI accordingly (cant remember where I had the blend knob set)..

the graphite neck will just add to the hi-fi sound due to its extreme brightness, which to me, it sounds like Flea eq's out in most cases, although lately I've heard some live RHCP and he doesnt sound as fat and even as he use to, he sounds more deep/mid-cut/bright (hi-fi IMO)..

he always sounds good no matter what anyways, due to incredible style and just his insane ability.. he rocks IMO
  9. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I believe Flea's Flea Bass has a Lane Poor and an Aguilar OBP-1. The closest you can get to that stock from Modulus now is the Seymour Duncan and and OBP-1.

On the Around the World intro, I hear two things going on. It sounds like he's blending a clean Flea Bass signal with an overdriven signal. The versus of the song, it sounds like a Flea w/ Lane Poor maybe with a touch of overdrive, but the clean signal is most prominent. I have a Flea w/ the SD pickup and Bart preamp, and the more clean sound is just the sound of that bass, although the LP (and probably the Aguilar OBP-1) brings it out a lot more.
  10. kirby

Feb 24, 2003
    Thanks for all the help, i think ill get those Seymours, heard lots of good stuff about them, my new bass is gonna be sweet, cant wait...
  11. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    Speaking of Flea's EQ...does anyone else hate the EQ he has for "Can't Stop" during the bass solo?

and yes...he is using distortion for the intro of Around the World
  12. I don't hate it but I know it was not recorded that way, but muffled in the mix stage. Because the song has been remixed and the trebles are free, not muffled anywhere. I like muffled, but open even more.
    I've heard he used some kind of fuzz pedal on the Around the World intro.
    Also on the Can't Stop b-side 'Nothing to Lose' which is a live jam, his sound is very fat and has no treble, from everything I've heard about the Flea Bass it couldn't sound like that but... It happened in some way.