Bartolini's on a Stingray

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lsu921, Dec 8, 2003.

1. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I'm thinking of changing my stock Music Man pickup with a Bartolini. I was wondering if I could get some input from others who have done the same. Which model did you use? MMC, MME, MMX, etc.. I'm looking to add more growl, and to even out the volume over the strings. My E and A strings are considerably louder than the D and G strings. Way louder. Have any of you had this same problem? Did the Bartolini help?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sorry, I haven't had the pleasure to do a pup substitution on an MM.

But, to add my 2 cents, Bill Bartolini made classical guitars before he devoted himself to pickups.

As a result of his taste/background, Barts are very "pure" and "refined" sounding. But you will get loads of volume as they definitely "see" so much of the elliptical travel of the strings.

Not that you can't get a nasty, growly, bass sound like my Skyline 55-02 with Bart pups and preamp. But "pure" and "behaved" are how several Bart vendors I've contacted have described them. Basslines ceramics are reknowned as having lots of "growl" and sounding "nastier"...(in a "good" way).

Personally, I think the woods (like hard ash), the bridge, the fretboard (like rock maple), and the bassist can make them Barts very "growly."
  3. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    sorry guys. i intended to put this under pickups.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No problem! Moved it for ya! Good luck with your answer, but I know I like the stock 'Ray pickups best!
  5. lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Have you noticed a difference in volume between the low notes and the high notes? Mine seems to be pretty signifigant. My Rick was pretty even across all 4 strings, and all the way up and down the neck. The Ray seems to lack volume on the bottom stings, and in the high register of notes.
  6. rickbass

With the Bart preamp, I can change the "midpoint" to 250Hz, 500Hz, or 700Hz (I think it is). I like the 250 Hz setting because it makes the B and E strings stronger and "wider."
  7. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I would recommend looking into the Seymour Duncan Basslines alinco pickup (and maybe the matching preamp to go with it).

I currently have one installed with an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. I'm currently experimenting with one of my pre-EB stingrays to compare this to the stock pickup and preamp.

Most of my other basses have Bartolini pickups, but for a Stingray I didn't even consider it. The Bart pickup is best described as 'refined', which is the opposite of the aggressive I was looking for.

I love all the Bart pickups (jazz, P, soapbars), except for the MM. I've had a couple of Laklands and a Flea with Bart MM pickups, and just never could get my sound out of them.

You can get the Basslines gear at Black Rose Customs
  8. rickbass

As todd mentiions, I have the Alnico Basslines MM, too, only with the Slap/Tone Circuit that was built for it.

It's a very bad mamma jamma!