Bartolini's suck

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zyxwfish, Dec 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zyxwfish

Dec 12, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    As retarded as this might sound I've tried Bartolini next to mighty might pickups, cort's active pickup, both in the same cort bass. Mighty mights just might be the best active pickups I've ever heard. Cort basses suck but there version of an active pickup retains the most natural sound of a bass than any other active pickup i've tried. Bartolini's are active allright but have no tone.
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Why would you want to retain the natural sound of a bass that "sucks"? :confused:

You should use whatever pickups, or any other gear, that you like. That's how you achieve your sound.
  3. bottomluvr

bottomluvr Guest

Nov 7, 2001
    I hate to correct someone who would make such a brazen and inflammatory statement as "Bartolinis Suck", but as you say, "Bartolini's are active." Well my friend, they aren't. The great majority (actually almost all would be more accurate) of Bartolini bass pickups are passive. Bartolini preamps are active.

As for Mity Mite's, I must plead ignorance. Just like you seem to be doing (although inadvertantly.)
  4. zyxwfish

Dec 12, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Ok I don't know what im talking about exactly as far as active pickups and active preamps go. I just know I've tried Bartolini's and there my least favorite pickup of all time. Mighty mights sound much better but I wouldn't say there my favorite pickup. I also have a bass With Active emg's and wouldn't say there the best either. Passive fender jassbass pickups are great. It's all a matter of opinion and mine is I don't like Bartolini's. You might I don't.
  5. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    OOH!! this thread should be popular!!:D I think you just told half the website that their pickups suck!! Hows about a thread entitled Mighty mites rule instead of Barts suck. Or maybe you'd like to insult my Seymours too.
  6. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I gotta say: Barts look better on paper than they actually are. They make every style of pickup imaginable and they'll even do custom work...

But they sound like mud and molasses, they cost an arm and a leg, and you have to actually know the Bartolini clan to get any info about where to get them.

Realize this! I am not saying they are poorly manufactured or that people who use them are crazy. I'm just saying that they are a bit icky sounding for me and I wouldn't use them if they were free. They are also starting to spread themselves kind of thin, which may cause QC problems in the future. Ibanez, Cort, Samick, etc. cheesy companies are now touting the fact that they have Barts. WHOOP DE DOO! They spent an extra $25 to make a bass cost you $150 more! Bart is stepping up production to accomodate these companies, therefor cheapening their image and making bartolini a less reputable name. (Not to say that EMG Select and Duncan Performer PUs are that great either)

The best thing about Barts is that they have an excellent resale value. If I ever find a used Lakland that I like, I can sell the Bart rig for Duncans and make money on the deal.
  7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

That's about all I have to say about this thread.
  8. :confused:
    Maybe I am tired or something, but other than the title of this thread, I dont get the point of it. You seemed to say everthing sucked, except fender pickups...right? If not...meh to it all.
  9. Amadeus

Apr 16, 2002
    How cool. I have three Corts: 1 with Mighty-Crap, 2 with Bartolini's. When I run the M-Mite vs. the Bartolini directly into a mixing board, the Barts are quiet. The Mighty-Mite should be named Mighty-Noisey.
    Again, I have 3 Cort basses and I'm very happy with 2 of them. (3rd due to the Mighty-Mite...:rolleyes: ).

IME, IMO, YMMV, etc....
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Barts suck. Cool.

OTOH it would take major talent to make my Brubakers or MTD 635, etc. sound muddy. You'd have to try.

This doesn't sound retarded but it doesn't sound experienced either... and I've played a lot of Cort basses and they rarely sucked.

As far as sucking goes, here's my yardstick: play the bass. Does it suck? Cool. Now hand it to someone you know is an accomplished player. Does it still suck?

Ho ho ho!
  11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

It is Christmas afterall. Have some compasion. Although you are dead on :D

12. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    This reminds me of a time when I was checking out basses at guitar center and a played it for a bit... I told the salesman, "I don't like this... it sounds boxy... no tone..." He asked if he could try it. So I handed him the bass... man he ripped it up, it sounded great, played great... when he played it. ;)
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Good point, Mike. I should've said "someone you know who is (also) an accomplished player".

Happy holidays
    Ho ho ho!
  14. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    As a wise old man once said: "It's better for people to think you are an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt":D
  15. I never really dug the sound of Barts either, I prefer Seymour Duncans.
  16. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Gee, Bartolini's really suck, eh? Guess that's why they are chosen as the pickup of choice for so many excellent basses, from MTD to Modulus to Tobias (when they were good).

Perhaps someday you will be mature enough to understand that your personal tastes don't trump everyone else's such that you can brazenly claim that theirs "suck".
  17. I have some Yokohama tires on my Yugo and they really suck. Yokohama tires suck.
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    weren't you the one who said that there's a shortcut to practice, an easy way to get good - and get this - without even having to play your bass?

thanks, again, and please continue to share your wisdom with us.
  19. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Barts suck? maybe they are not your thing, but they do not "Suck". Heck, i hate MusicMans, but they don't "Suck". as far as the mighty mite being great pickups, you, my friend, are a fool...LISH thinker!,,, like,,, maybe i mean, you should go concentrate on how YOUR doing, not so much the bass. sure, find a tone you like, but in the end, how good it sounds is all up to you.

EDIT: i think i was backtracking to much.. so here is what i ment to say in a nutshell

Barts dont suck, Mighty mite pickups do, common fact.
  20. Man, I'm just subscribing to the thread to see where this goes. I'm voting that blood will be drawn, then thread closed. Good to know you did Sssssssooooooo much research by playing bargin version of P/U's then making a blanket statement. Way to go, your country loves you. :D

For the record, I have a full bart setup in my carvin fretless, S-D basslines MM setup in the Jazzray, and a stock P/U S-D Preamp setup in the Yobias. The barts sound exactly like what I want to sound any time. I'm used to the preamp and it's cut/boost levels. But this is for fretless, so I'm looking for a smoother...more even tone (To much in your face feel can get wacky w/ fretless for me). For the other two basses, they're made for RAWK :D So the S-D preamp's overall power can really be a help at times. The mid control on that STC-3 preamp is the deciding factor, all you need to adjust. Godsend.

Next you say? Glad you asked. I'm wanting to build a Warmoth Gecko w/ Active EMG's and an OBP-3 Aguilar preamp. Time to stop screwing around and go with what I know sounds sooooo good (Spector lol).

So that'll make 6 basses, one active P/U-active Pre, 3 Passive P/U-active preamp, 1 Passive-Passive, 1 Piezo w/ preamp. 6 different P/U manufacturer's, 4 preamp manufacturers. Good deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.