1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bartollini MM pickup problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bah, Mar 20, 2013.

1. bah

bah

Feb 25, 2013
    Hello guys!
    A few months ago i have ordered custom made 5 string bass from Polish luthier Krzysztof Kania. I was looking for a WALish sound, and he proposed to put two Bartollini's MM replacement pickups in the middle and near the bridge. I haven't ever tried or had Bartollini's before, so i agreed. However, after some time with my bass i can tell for sure that bartollini pickups are not for me, and i wanted to change them for Seymour Duncan Ceramic MM. I even ordered one, but when i wanted to mount it, i realised that it is much bigger, and won't fit! :(
    I have never suspected that MM replacement pickup ( means Bartollini ) could have other measurements than original MM pickup. (Bartolini have about 9,6 cm without ears)
    I don't know what to do now, because i have beautiful 5 string bass, but i don't like the sound of it, and cannot find any other pickups that would fit. Are there any that are 9,6 cm wide without ears? I have been looking for it forever.

P.S. my bass string spacing is 16 mm.

Thanks for all help,
    bah

2. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I thought those MM Barto's had ''ears''... strange..

Can you show me a picture?

3. BassGyver

BassGyver

Jun 29, 2004
    Belgioum
    For narrow string spacing, Bartolini has enough room to put a 5 string PU under a 4 string cover (they are rail type PU). The SD has the standard 5 string MM shape (without ears).

There is also the OLP/Lakland size, which is a 5 string with ears, even larger.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Need pics.

5. bah

bah

Feb 25, 2013
    Yes they do! It just has 9,6 cm without measuring ears (i measure it like that because most of the companies i checked out does it) however i still cannot find any MM pickup that is narrow enough - all of them have more than 10 cm without measuring "ears", and in my bass bartollinis fits perfectly, and the wood is so beautiful that i don't wanna ruin it by drilling :(
    I took a picture:
    http://s21.postimage.org/5hlujxkjb/P3202335.jpg

Thanks for replies!

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Well here's what I would do.

Contact David at SGD Pickups. I use his pickups because of their Wal-like tone. Get him specific mesurements and he can make you what you want.

http://www.sgd-lutherie.com/

7. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Interesting, indeed it is a not common size. Routing for a standard sized MM pickup is not a big problem and if done right you would not "ruin" the wood :smug: (done it plenty of times)…

Is this the size of your pups?

nordstrand-dimensions-4-string-mm.

M

8. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's because that's a 4 string size MM pickup.

The one you got from Duncan is a 5 string size.

The one in your bass should measure 8,89 cm. There is also a 5 string version with the mounting ears, that's about 10,31 cm.

As maurilio said, it's easy to rout the bass for a different size pickup. The new one will cover the footprint on the old one.

You can also look for a 4 string size pickup that will work with a five string with a 16mm spacing. That's a total of 64mm. I make blade pickups in that size pickup shell that work with any amount of strings up to 72.6 mm. As mmbongo said, they get a Wal like tone.

9. bah

bah

Feb 25, 2013
    SGD Lutherie, thanks for a reply!
    I think the one i have is exactly 10,31 cm when i measure it with ears :) and i would love to try one of Your pickups, because i have read many great things about them :) Is there anywhere when I can check out the sound of Blade pickup?

Cheers!