Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartonlinis and Preamps

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, Jan 28, 2006.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    Well for christmas i got a set of barts for my MIM jazz V,

i love the sound of them passive but i have heard to really bring out the sound of bartolinis is to get an onboard preamp to got with em.

i was wondering if that is true,

and if it is true recomend some preamps to get for the pups.

thanks in advance.

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    An all Bart system sounds amazing. I'm not sure what pre will fit (physically) an MIM Jazz, though.

3. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    well theres the j-retro preamp
    and theres some bart preamps that i could probably squeeze in.

right?

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Buy an outboard pre (I have the Aguilar 2 band and love it, but the Sadowsky outboard gets much love around here) and use it with all of your basses.

5. I have had my Hambone custom jazz for a few weeks now, and I have to say I vote for the John East retro-j Preamp. I have Bart 9's in thier, and the combo kicks booty.....best wishes tallpaul

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I checked some of the Bart pre specs. Personally, I would go with the 2.3 system (vol./bass/treble) for a Jazz.

The J-retro is a good choice, too. I can't say that I have heard it combined with Bart pups, though.

7. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    thanks for that help
    i already have a boss geb-7 and the preamp of my mxr m-80 but im just not getting the sound im looking for,

as for what you said about outboard preamps, that sadowsky preamp is quite pricey for just one little box and no place to hook a powersuppy into.

whats your possition on rackmount preamps.
    i know that sansamp makes some and a bunch of other companies.