Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartonlini's for a Warwick?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Is it possible to get Bartolini pick ups made for a Warwick Corvette Standard? Don't want to bother the people at Bartolini until I buy the bass. Thanks.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    is there anything special about your setup? Also, is it 4 or 5 string - that's very important.
    Otherwise, isn't it just standard J pickups? Could you measure your current pickup lengths and post them here?
    Standard 4 string J lengths are about 3.75" bridge and 3.63" neck. There's no one standard for 5 string J pickup length - Warwick have used two bridge length J pups for basses such as the 5 string Thumb.

3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I want to put some bartoloni jazz pickups into my warwick thumb bass..

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I put some DiMarzio Model J's into my '97 Warwick Corvette with absolutely no problem. I have to imagine that some Barts would drop in just the same.

5. I haven't bought the bass yet. I wanted to find out if it could be done before I bought it. The bass sounds good as is but with some Barts it would be amazing. It's gonna be a four, just a standard corvette.

6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Is installing a bass with new pickups hard? like what sort of process do i have to go through?.. any wire cutting?. ive never done it before, can someone give me a run through it, because id like some bartiloni's in my warwick thumb bass :)

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    How hard it is depends on the existing config. i.e. if you're replacing passive pickups with other passive pickups it's easier than replacing passive pickups with active pickups or vice versa.

Also depends on whether you've done anything similar before, i.e. soldering, wire stripping, insulating etc.

8. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Im not replacing passive with passive, im replacing active with active.. so that might be a bitch then yeah?.. no i havent done any soldering wire stripping etc.. but my older brother is an expert in it.. but will he know what hes doing, hes never done anything bass wise.. i might just stick with the MEC'S ...

9. I was thinking the same thing myself - i.e. what would a Bart circuit and or pups sound like in Warwick? Any wise bass heads out there know what this might sound like?

Munki

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you're replacing MEC's with Barts, you're replacing active with passive.

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes, I did it in the past in my Thumb 5. I wasn't that thrilled with my result with bart pups/pre. The high end was too muted.
    The Barts sounded better in the thumb with other, more open sounding, preamps with u-retro or aguilar obp-3.

12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    You may want to reconsider the Bart idea and consider the DiMarzio's instead. I heard one with the DiMarzios installed, and it really opened things up. That would be my recommendation along with a Aggie pre.

13. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    right so i cant install active bartiloni's?.. hmm im so confused.

14. i dont think there are active barts.

15. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Really?.. Barts only come as passive?.. damn..

16. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    They have mdae active J pups in the past, but if they make them now I don't think they're part of their regular line. If they're available, I'd imagine it'd have to be a special order - so be prepared to wait a year or so (I kid you not).

The passive barts sounded good with the obp-3. EMG's sounded great also. The U-Retro preamp also sounded good in there.

17. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    They used to have an active Jazz pu, but no more. It had a TC3 preamp circuit in the case of the pu. The last time I saw one of those was in the mid-eighties. They were a lot nicer on my ears than EMGs at the time.

18. I'll just throw in a quick recommendation for EMG Js. EMGs are often a bit over-bright for my ears but with the characteristically darker-sounding Warwick wood combinations, they bring out a very articulate, full-range tone. I love Bartolini pickups on many basses but, like David, find them a little muddy on most Warwicks.

-Seth

19. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    exactly, I learned this the expensive way :)

20. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    do you think the Barts will sound better on my naturally brighter maple Streamer LX5?