Barts are SOOOOOOOOO expensive!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by brewer9, Feb 6, 2002.

1. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Holy Schmidt! I need two Bartolini pickups and am floored by their prices. I guess when your that good you can ask for almost whatever you want. My purchase will have to be delayed til I can gather a few more bucks unfortunately.
  2. Sorin Cristea

Sorin Cristea

Jan 15, 2002
    You're not alone in your sorrow....
    But,once you bought them,yo'll realise that it's worthin'every cent!
  3. Save your money (from my experience)
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

DavyO, I've been thinking about the upgrade route too.

What were you particularly dissatisfied with?

What pups did you originally have?

5. they just don't sound that good. If anything a disprovement from my washburn pickups anyway. also from my yamahas. They keep going back in the box.
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I've got bart triple coils in my DPCustom and they sound great. I should note I also have the NTMB-18 preamp, and when I play my bass in passive mode the output can be a bit weak, but they still sound good. I think they were designed with an active preamp in mind.
  7. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    Davy0, Are you plugging them into the factory preamps? Are you running them passive? A little more info would help.

8. I've tried them passive and with an emg preamp, same problem with both. This is the p-type. The soapbars might be fine. Just in my circumstance, bartolinis proved to be a bad idea.
  9. dhuffguitars

Sep 18, 2001
    I have tried a Bart through a EMG pre amp, and they don't sound like a Bart.. Emg preamps are made for low impedeance pickups, and Barts. are a high imp. pickup.

10. I agree, Bart pickups, are built to work with Bart preamps. It has been my experience that most cross company mixing of electronics generally ends up working out poorly. The impedences, voicings, etc, are designed to be handled by their own preamps. There are exception to this of course.

Oh, and I LOVE Bartolini Pickups, I've tried EMGs and Basslines, and will never leave my Barts.

11. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    So, let me see if I understand all this. Not only do I have to get Bart pickups, I also have to get a new Bart preamp to make them sound right? How much are those?
  12. You can download the pricelist from . It really depends on what you want as to how much it costs. Do you want 2-band? 3-band? push/pull passive? Midrange frequency switch? Volume-volume or volume-blend? How many pots can you put on your bass (if you don't want to start drilling)? List prices range from $130-$200, and they usually retail for considerably less than that.

13. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    you think barts are expensive? you should go price out some aero's
  14. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It depends. Is your bass active or passive? If passive then the passive Bartolinis will sound fine. The thing about using only Bart preamps with Bart pickups is debatable, too. I put a Bartolini P pickup in a Fender P-Lyte and it sounded great with the Fender preamp.

"Emg preamps are made for low impedeance pickups, and Barts. are a high imp. pickup. "

I don't agree with this statement either. I put a EMG preamp in a Yamaha passive bass, with the stock high impedence pickups, and it sounded great. EMG says on their web site that they will work with either active (lo-imp) or passive (hi-imp) pickups.
  15. thanks! I guess Bart's are fine then!
  16. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I found this German (?) retailer -- click. They have a big selection of Bart
    stuff and the prices are pretty competitive.

Example: A set of 9W4 J's list for $182. These guys have `em for ~$140.

Of course, if you're on this side of the pond, you'd probably lose the
    difference in shipping.

BTW...Here's a good exchange rate calculator - :).
  18. dhuffguitars

Sep 18, 2001
    I setup as bass with a Bart MM pickup and an EMG humbucker with a EMG Preamp. The Emg pickup sound fine, but the Bart had NO volume. So I guess as long as you are not mixing the two pickups you are fine.

19. ok then would the Barts work on a Fender american Jazz deluxe V?

I think the model number is 9W4. They would work with my pre amp right?
  20. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    With the 9W4 (I think the 5-string version is 9W5 actually?), string spacing is very important because there are individual coils for each string. So make sure that wherever you order them from takes measurements of your bass, or at least knows that what they're ordering will work exactly.