barts for mexican j-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wbm3, Feb 11, 2005.

1. wbm3

Mar 31, 2004
    sorry to dumb everyone down, but will Bartolinis fit directly
    into mexican j-basses? The reason I'm asking is that I was reading up on Aero pickups and they make one specifically for
    the Mex J because the bridge and neck are the exact same?

I'm getting confused. It's basically my first 'update' to a 'cheap' bass after years of just playing mex p&j's until they
    fall apart and just buying another. Thanks.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think you just need to buy both long pickups. They should work out just fine, but some people use the bridge long, neck short sets with absolutely no problems.
  3. Pre 2002 mexican jazz basses have the same pickup length (both bridge I believe). Newer models have the "correct" bridge and neck sizing and take any standard replacement set.

I am not positive of the year of the switch but '02 and on seem to have them. Just look at them. Are they both the same size? If so you will be more limited in your available replacements.
  4. Willy Franklin

Willy Franklin Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You should measure your pickups and check them out with the Bartolini dimensions... They have a spec sheet on their website. I guess that Bartolini sells their jazz pickups mostly in pairs, but I have ordered 1 pickup of the pair in the past. -Willy
  5. telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    ...just to add some info, I have a 2001 MIM jazz and it has unequal length pickups. From what I've heard, 2001 is when they switched to the "correct" size pickups.
  6. I have a 2000 and they are both the same length, so I would say you are correct.
  7. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    Pre 2001 MIM Jazz Fenders had two small (not large) neck (not bridge) pickups. I know because I had to do a small amount of routing on the bridge cavity when putting a set of bart 9Js into my MIM Jazz.
    I suppose you could buy a couple of neck pickups and they would fit without routing.