Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Barts for Thumb

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bass2020, Mar 12, 2002.

1. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    What Bart pickups and electronics are best for a Thumb?

2. mthoople

mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I have Bart 9S pickups in my Thumb. These are passive single coils, and are deeper sounding than the MECs, but do pick up a little buzz when the volume control is full on.

Even though Bartolini recommends NOT using a preamp with the 9S pickups, I'm using a TBIBT. However, I usually run the preamp eq flat.

3. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hey mthoople,

I been looking into changing the pups in my LX5 for some time but havent done it because I dont know what to choose (EMG, Basslines, Bartolini).

so hows the bart setup working for you?
    did the bass loose its growl?

is there an audiable change from the MEC stuff?

4. mthoople

mthoople

Nov 1, 2001
    Denver, CO
    The Barts have more low end than the MECs. The mids of the Thumb still cut through, just with more bowel-shaking grunt. However, there are still enough highs that I turn down the tweeters in my cabs. The result is a more "natural" sound. The Bart preamp is very powerful -- overkill for me. On the rare instances that I use the onboard eq, I barely move the knobs off of the center detent.

5. midlife

midlife

Nov 21, 2001
    Back to the Top

Well anyone elese change pick-ups in a thumb

I am looking at doing the same but I am really not sure what to change to.

The Bart guy told me if I change pick-ups to change out the preamp also. Do all as one change.

I was thinking of either the Bart 9J1 or the 9J4. Can anyone else out there getin this discussion?

6. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I'm looking into the 59J#1.

do you reckon Bart pups are direct replacements or do you have to route if you want to fit them?

also, anyone installed the two module preamp(I'm looking at the HR 4.6 harness 18V)?
    do they fit standard Warwick cavities or would I need to send them for routing and/or install a battery box for everything to fit?

7. I myself have been wondering this same question....what replacement to consider for my (crappy) MEC PU's in my '00 Thumb5?? I dig the 18v preamp but know how Warwick skimps on electronics and excells at all else. I replaced the MEC systems in both my '88 Streamer and '00 Dolphin5 w/ Alembic stuff and the difference was dramatic. I assume I can't just drop the Bart's into my Thumb5 as is....although I would sure like to! What about Bartolini soapbars like in the six string model? That would be a fat sound. I just need something D E E P E R .....

[​IMG]