Barts in 55-01

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by takhammer, Jul 6, 2013.

1. takhammer

takhammer

Jan 17, 2011
    Columbia, SC
    I am looking to upgrade the barts in a 55-01 to get a bart tone similar to the modulus bart tone.

Which PU's should I use with the NTMB, to get that classic Modululs Bart tone? I saw that some people use the M45CBC's to replace emg's in there modulus', so would i want the P25CBC's, and would that help me get close to that modululs tone?
    I know a lot of the tone is from the modulus neck, but I need to get in that ball park, if possible. The neck of the 55-01 will be maple, so still a warm neck, although not Carbon Fiber. Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

3. takhammer

takhammer

Jan 17, 2011
    Columbia, SC
    I meant M45CBC, which is an emg shape(5string).. It's a direct replacement for some of the modulus Q5
    that come with EMG's. I heard this is what bestbassgear recommends. Edited the OP.
    You are right about it being MK and not P2. I was misinformed...

4. mmbongo

Yeah the EMG shapes won't fit, you need the MK shape.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

EMG45's will need some routing to fit. EMG40's are just a tad bigger than the Barts. Would need minor routing. Bartolini P2's or MK5's will fit with no routing. I put MK5's in my 55-01.

6. takhammer

takhammer

Jan 17, 2011
    Columbia, SC
    So do you guys who have the MK5's think they get close to that Modulus Bart tone?

7. tak..not sure about the "Modulus" Bart tone you are talking about..To me Barts soaps are Barts soaps...not a ton of variation...Sure you ahev the Cbs with more "air"..Perhaps that it what you are hearing..I would think the carbon fiber would play the part of the Modulus tone though.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well, the MK's are the classic series. You get some more highs out of them. P2's are a more deeper sounding pickup. A lot of bass manufacturers that use Barts tend to have them custom wound "allegedly" but I think they are probably just your standard off the shelf Barts. I'm more inclined to think the preamps are what's customized.

9. mmbongo

Definitely. We do a large chuck of Widespread Panic in my cover band, so I'm all over some Dave Schools tone. Roll to the bridge and I've got a pretty good Flea tone.

10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Just curious why you think that. I'm inclined to believe that is not true, especially where it applies to Michael Tobias's American 435/535/635. Thats a different animal under the pickup shell compared to your typical dual coil P2, for example.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just my opinion.