1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Barts in a 5 string mexi jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RockBottom, May 15, 2001.

1. I recently installed a set of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders in a friends Fender Bullet bass. While checking the final results, which were quite good, I decided to compare them to my MIM Jazz V. I had been satisfied with the sound from the stock setup on the Jazz (until now). Upon hearing the difference between the stock MIM pups and the SD's I realized they had to go. I ordered a set of Bartolini 59J pickups from Mars Music. These are a set of humbuckers in a single jbass style pickup. Actually two of them, neck and bridge.
    They are shorter than the stock pickups and the mounting centers are a bit closer together than stock. I had to hog out a little wood from the body for the mounts and do a little work on the pickguard for the neck pickup. I used a Dremel with a quarter inch round file. While shorter, they are long enough to extend beyond the b and g strings and sense them. This is a great upgrade, I am completely satisfied with the sound. Pretty much precision bass on the neck and some growl if you turn up the bridge