Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

barts in ibanez

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spots, Feb 26, 2004.

1. spots

spots

Feb 7, 2004
    boston, MA
    is it worth it to replace the pickups on my ibanez sr485 to barts? would it be necessary to change the preamp to a bart preamp as well?i like the feel of my bass and the tone is pretty solid? Is it a waste to upgrade the pickups without upgrading the preamp? :meh: worth the money?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I have transplanted lots of quality electronics in low end soundgears. Primarily because the body meets my needs, they're plentiful, and cheap. A wall of them with Aggies, Barts, EMGs, Duncans, among others. In fact, I've just routed out the entire pup section in one so I can drop in any pups for exploration, since low end Ibe 4 string,s are all PJ configs. When I get a desireable combo, I'll go ahead and route one of the other PJ's accordingly to thin the PJs down. The first incarnation is a MM out of an MTD with a Bart NTBT.

But if you're satisfied with your tone, leave it alone - unless your just up for some exploration.

In my opinion any low end bass that feels comfortable to you is worth a transplant as long as the neck is good in every aspect. You can use the existing preamp with practically any pup change. Every once in a while you might hit a mismatch. But most pup manufacturers design their preamps to work with their pups, optimally. The Aguilar preamps seem the most commonly used with other manufacturers pups. The combinations are fairly endless however. If this is your primary or only bass, I'd recommend finding a bass you like the sound of through the same rig you play through, and get those pups and electronics, and preferably strings as well. You won't be exact but you'll get it close enough, and possibly even better.

I'd buy preowned electronics/pups, keep your old stuff, and when it comes time to sell, put the old stuff back in and sell the transplants seperately as you bought them. Buyers don't pay for upgrades and they're typically looking for a bass they know - in other words, stock.

Is it worth the money? I don't have more than $300 total in any bass I've transplanted and I've got a wall of light, comfortable, sweet playing/sounding basses.

============

The only Holy Grail that exist's in the bass world is not in the bass,
    it's in the player.