1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Barts in Modulus FB4?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nashdog, Apr 29, 2009.

1. nashdog

nashdog

Jun 1, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've had my Fleabass for a while now and love it to death but recently I have come to realize that it lacks a little warmth and character (it still has a great growl to it but it seems to lack something). I've been wondering if installing a Bartolini pickup instead of the Basslines would make a noticeable difference (its a single humbucker by the way).

Any thoughts?

2. nashdog

nashdog

Jun 1, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anyone?

3. MoEllis

MoEllis

Sep 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I'd say just get a jazz bass :) but in your case, you probably couldnt go wrong with a bart

4. what pre is in that bass ?

5. I have had a Bartolini in my 1997 FB4 since '99 and I absolutely love it. I have it combined with an Aquilar OBP1 and it is a killer combination. I still get all the "in your face" Flea Bass tone, but also can summon up a very warm, mellow tone when called for. I have gotten compliments time and time again at shows, in the studio and from those running the board that my bass sounds fantastic. I'd say... go for it!

6. nashdog

nashdog

Jun 1, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Flea has the OBP-1 pre in it. I'll probably eventually upgrade to the OBP-3 as well. I'd like to have some mid control.

Limeman, that is exactly what I'm looking for in my bass! I love the punchiness it has now, but if I could get that warmth out of it, I'll be set.

7. What kind of rig are you playing through? I'd stick with the OBP1. The boost only circuit is the best that Aguilar has. Make mid adjustments at your amp. Do you know which Bartolini you are thinking about installing?

8. nashdog

nashdog

Jun 1, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I am running an Ampeg BAHP115. It's not the greatest but it gets the job done. I also have an Avalon U5 ... it kinda makes up for the BAHP.

I've been looking into the Original Series MMC. Bartolini.net claims it is a "bright, smooth humbucker - strong lows and low mids." It sounds like what I'm looking for.

9. nordstrand makes a great music man style pickup...

10. That sounds like the Bart I have in my Flea. Should give you some more sonic flex and warmth than the basslines pickup.

Having said that, one of the things I've always loved about my Flea is that with limited pup/pre options, it has forced me to rely on my hand position, technique and creativity to get the sounds I want, and that in turn has made me a better bass player. :)