Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Barts in My Thumb Bolt-On

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by midlife, Apr 24, 2002.

1. midlife

midlife

Nov 21, 2001
    I picked up a pair of Bartolini 9J1 and a Bart preamp to go with it today.

What can I expect to hear vs the standard MEC stuff?

Is the installation a piece of cake or is there something you all should make me aware of.

2. You're going to hear a lot more low midrange beef, and a much less compressed sound.

Installation won't be all that easy. Warm up your soldering iron, because if it's like most Bartolini installations, there are no quick-connectors for the pickups and preamp. However, the pots should be connected to the preamp module.

3. midlife

midlife

Nov 21, 2001
    No problem soldering the pick-ups to the pots.

I am concerned about he output jack. The Warwick has a long barrel jack and the Bart has a small standard jack like through a pickguard. I hope these are interchangable. We'll find out.

4. Unsolder the Bart jack from the preamp and use the Warwick jack; since it's an active bass, the jack is a stereo type. Stick a cable in and find out which lug is the tip, which should be connected to the preamp out, and which is the ring, which should be connected to the battery ground.

5. midlife

midlife

Nov 21, 2001
    Not a bad job at all. Took out the old stuff put in the new in about 2 hours. Everything fits nice and it works and is quiet. No noise whatsoever.

Next test is this Sat night playing a gig with it. Hard to tell what the sound is really like through my little 10" practice amp with 30 watts.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Howdy,

I was wondering if you have any plans for those MEC pickups and the pre.

Id be interested in buying them.

Peace
    Nick

7. i am more interested in how the thing sounds now.. coz i'm getting my stage LX-5 in a 4 weeks, and i'm very interested in barts..

8. midlife

midlife

Nov 21, 2001
    I am not going to sell the MEC stuff that came out. I want to keep it incase I need to make it all stock again.

I did not use the bass this past Sat night. I will be using it this coming Sat for a show. Right now I would have to say the clarity is improved, the sound is fuller, and it has more thump. I still need to putz with the amp EQing somemore.

9. goloa

goloa

Apr 22, 2005
    croatia
    hey... is that 3 or 2 band preamp ? i've been thinking of changeing pickups and pre on my thumb BO and i was thinking about barts with bart pre or maybe EMG with aguilar obp-3 , but the problem are the pots ... there is no middle pot for 3-band ... so how did you solve it ?

and write some more about the sound... :)

tnx

10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, that thread was three years ago...
    to do a bart three band preamp in a thumb, you have to do vol/vol, mid, bass/treble.
    I tried Barts and didn't like the fact that they lost some of the high end - that can be ok in a bright bass, but in the Thumb 5 it just made it sound muddy. I honestly preferred the EMG's.

11. goloa

goloa

Apr 22, 2005
    croatia
    yeah i know but i didn't want to open new tread cuz there are many similar ones ..
    ok i was thinking of EMG's
    but which one passive or active ? i know i got to get 2 LJ .
    do i have to put another battery for pickups if i take active ?
    and which preamp to put in ? EMG BTC System ?

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no sweat, was just letting you know he might not be around to answer any more ;)
    Whatever you want, I used the actives
    No
    again, whataver you want. If you want 3 band, then obviously you can't use the BTC.