Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Barts & Nords (no fighting please :)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NoNoise, Apr 21, 2005.

1. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hey everyone. I know that every person walks in here asking "What pickups should I buy," but I'm not going to ask that. All I'm going to say is that I'm having a 39" scale bass built (not from Knuckle, b/c I can't afford one of theirs unfortunately) which is going to give me extra low notes, and I'm trying to decide whether I want Barts or Nords in it (dualcoil either way). I have Barts in my Jazz, and I really like the round, warm tone it gives me, but everyone is always raving on the Nords. So, I was just wondering if anyone could give me a couple sentences on how these two would compare? Thanks.

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, I would say they are very different pickups. The Nordstrands are extremly clear, and can be aggressive when pushed, and the Barts are pretty organic or wooly for the most part. With the scale length you're going for, you may want to go for the Nordstrands for the ultra in clarity.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I haven't done the dual coil challenge, but I just AB'd some Nord NJ4SE's and Bart quadracoil 9W4J's (no longer available)...the Barts were punchier in the low mids, but otherwise the Nords were much more responsive, smooth and clear. The Barts will give up a nice bridge heavy burp, but I definitely perceived a loss in clarity and top-end sweetness (which the Nords have in spades). YMMV. Brad's already did.

5. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I've decided to go with the Nords. I have barts in my Jazz, so at the very least, it will give me some more sounds to choose from.