1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Barts or EMG??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by slinginsix, Mar 10, 2008.

1. slinginsix

slinginsix

Jan 11, 2005
    upstate ny
    What are the tone differences between these pups?

2. Basdyret

Basdyret A Dane in China

Aug 6, 2007
    Qingdao, China
    Very generally speaking, and IMO, I would connect these positive and negative words with them:

EMG: Clear, open, rich, transparent - sterile, lifeless.

Barts: Punchy, growly - closed, nasal, not letting the "bass" through.

I wouldn't change the EMG's in my Fodera, because I get that clear, transparent sound from them, but for a fretless one of my first choices would be Barts because of their midrange boost, which is where the "mwah" lies :)

There are a lot of opinions on these PU's, though, and sometimes it's very difficult to determine what is actually the PU and what's the rest of the bass in the tone.

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    victor wooten demonstrates what emg's sound like on most (if not all?) of his stuff.

not much experience with barts, myself.

4. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I also have EMGs in one of my basses ('69 Fender P-J) and Barts in my fretless late 70's Jazz. Clean and punch +++ PLUS +++ from the EMGs and fretless 'heaven' from the (full active) Bart system.

5. KamikazeSkies

KamikazeSkies

Mar 10, 2008
    Opelousas
    I have EMGs in one of my basses and Barts in the other. It's pretty much the same exact bass.

I use the EMGs for the lower tuned one because I like the way it picks up the lows.
    My standard-tuning bass has the Barts because they have an extreme range of tonal possibilities.
    Of course, each bass also has the whole EQ from the respective company, not just the pickups.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

We do have a pickups forum.:meh:

Moved.

7. mark-oj

mark-oj

May 26, 2006
    sydney australia
    we are in the pickups forum!!! have a look around!

8. I don't think they sound exactly the same, but it's not like I've ever had an opportunity to try out 2 basses that were otherwise the same with EMGs and Barts. The Spector NS-2 doesn't sound exactly like a Pedulla MVP.

That being said, I like the EMG PJ config for that famous Vic tone and tend to use Barts in my various fretless basses.

9. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    I think that bartolini J style pickups may be an exception to the "bartolini sound" My barts (69J's) are not dark sounding at all. They have a very transparent sound, lots of bass, slightly scooped mids, and crystal clear highs.