Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Barts vs EMG vs BASSLINES -> Versatility

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pc, Mar 11, 2002.

1. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Wich pickups are the more versatile?

EMG40
    Bartolini M4 or
    Basslines ASB5

2. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I've just got a bass from a Brazilian manufacturer. It plays great but it's electronics suck. I think P/U & electronics upgrade would be nice...

The pickups are 1,5" x 4" soapbars and i've found Barts, EMGs and Seymour Duncans that fit this size in their web sites.

For what I've been reading at TB, the EMGs are kind of crisp and the barts are more warm. I don't know how Duncans would sound.

My question is: which pickup (and it's respective electronics) among these is the more versatile? I mean, which one can give me a good slap tone, a nice reggaeish thud and a reasonable low mid gowl?

Is that utopia?
    tks.

3. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    yep... I was thinking about them...

At Warmoth:
    2-band Tone Circuit for active pickups - 89.25
    Replacement for EMG 40 models (set) - 179.25

hmmmm

4. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I think it depends on the sound your after. Barts, Basslines and EMGs (real ones) all have different sound qualities I like. I have a bart in one bass, emg's in another, and I've played instruments with basslines. I like them all in different ways.

However, if I were building a bass for versatility, I'd go with the Bart M4's with a preamp with bass, treble and multi-band mid-range control. I'd also have the pickups wired so I could switch coils and switch paths between series and parallel.

That's my opinion for what it's worth.

5. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Bartolini used to be my first option, because they are passive and (as you just said) can be wired single coil / series / parallel.

I was looking for a split soapbar (xxM55M) in the neck position and a quad coil (xxM55CX) near the bridge. This combination would give me a wide tonal range, with:

- neck solo (kind of P sound)
    - bridge series
    - bridge parallel
    - bridge single coil (J bridge maybe?)
    - neck + bridge on these three positions

All these combinations active AND passive!!!! WOW

I asked Bass Central, Bass Northwest and LA Bass Exchange for them, but Justin Huth, from BE told me that barts can take up to 6 months to arrive :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't know if I could mess up with the coils like this with basslines or EMG...

6. I haven't heard anything like this about Bartolini. I got a set of 9W4Js quad coil Jazz pickups, a set of G67 7-string bass split coils and a HR4.5 NTBT 918 preamp and it took less than a month to arrive. You would also think that the G67s would be harder to come by than the M55s. But, I could be wrong.

Just FYI.

Geoff