Barts vs. Fender in a Squier

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Flambeu, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Flambeu

Apr 14, 2000
    I'm trying to upgrade my Squier P-Bass. I'll start defretting it today, and once I'm done, I'm thinking about replacing the pickup.

The choices I have are either stock Fender or Bartolini's 8s. Any opinions? Pros? Cons?

Thanks! :)
  2. lets put it this way, put barts in a squier and you'll double the value :p
    barts sound gorgeous with warwick basses, thats cos warwick uses nice woods.....squiers don't.
    but its your project, and so i would recomend barts over fenders p'ups

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Bartolinis will make a big difference to the sound. I remember talking to the owner of a local small guitar shop - they didn't get many basses, but I used to buy strings accesories there.

Anyway - one day he said to me try this bass - and he pulled out a really horrible pointy, slabby thing which was finished in metallic purple - yeucchh!

I said - no way, that is going to sound horrible but he insisted and it sounded amazing - great tone.

He explained that somebody had asked him to install Bartolinis in it as a custom job with an 18v preamp, but then couldn't afford the final total price!

It looked so awful that I woudl never have cosnidered buying it even at a knock-down but the Barts just made it sound amazing and I was really surprised.
  4. I put quad-coil barts and a 9v NTMB preamp in my MIM Active Jazz - I'm very happy with the swap.
  5. Flambeu

Apr 14, 2000
    Oh, I have no doubt that my Squier will sound much better with either pickup (and double its price :D )
    But why take the barts instead of standard MIA pickup? What makes that barts so much better?
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The sound!!!
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    actually, i think i'd rather have a nice set of dimarzio ultra jazzes in a jazz bass, but i'd take fender '60 CS pickups over barts in a jazz bass any day.
  8. Flambeu

Apr 14, 2000
  9. Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    You can always remove the Barts and put them in another bass. I put BassLines SPB-2 in my Squier Precision and use a Yamaha NE-1 to help give it a deeper sound. I wish I had just bought a better bass to put money into.