Bas chords?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Jan 12, 2002.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    Bas chords, although to i know they exist i never se them used in songs much. what i really want to know is can u get chord diagrams so u can learn how to play them. How do u find out how to use them?
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Teacher. Get a teacher. Learn the theory behind them, and how to construct them. A diagram won't do that.

By the way...BASS. Please, BASS.
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Jonas Hellborg came out with a pretty comprehensive 4-string chord dictionary. I don't remember who publishes it; it's long and skinny like a Zagat's, to fit inside an instrument case. Barnes & Noble sells it.

As Angus says, it's more beneficial (and actually easier) in the long run to learn some theory. I always found it easier to construct chords from the ground up than trying to remember 6000 chord diagrams.
  4. chrisbs

Jan 12, 2002
    Learn the fingerboard, then you can work off a guitar chord diagram if you must

By just learning a bunch of chords and not knowing how and why they fit, you run the risk of playing like a trained monkey.

And monkeys don't rock. Baboons yes, but not monkeys.