Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basal Joint problems

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by McThistle54, Feb 1, 2005.

1. As a relative newbie (both on upright and on TBDB), I'm sure this has been covered already.

Nonetheless, if there are any other middle-aged players who are new to upright, I'll remind you to pay real close attention to any aches or pains...especially in your hands. I normally do, and have never had any problems... until....

I played mildly (or so I thought) hurt for a few weeks because of a concert that required arco. I know I simply just squeezed too hard for too long. Now the pain just won't go away at all. Can't open jars, pull up socks, etc. Ridiculous!

I looked up basal joint problems and it can be serious stuff indeed for people in their 40s-50s, etc.

I'm off to the Dr. for xrays on my left hand today. The old basal joint seems to be really on the fritz.

I haven't played my upright in 2 1/2 weeks, and very little on my EB. Needless to say, I am frustated at myself for pushing too hard... and even more frustrated at not being able to play. Chops are slipping and another concert (amateur, non-paying, thankfully) is coming up, which I may have to pass on.

So, that's my tale of woe, and I hope someone else can benefit from my mistake.

-McThistle
    alias: Mr. Withdrawal