1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Basal Joint problems

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by McThistle54, Feb 1, 2005.

1. As a relative newbie (both on upright and on TBDB), I'm sure this has been covered already.

Nonetheless, if there are any other middle-aged players who are new to upright, I'll remind you to pay real close attention to any aches or pains...especially in your hands. I normally do, and have never had any problems... until....

I played mildly (or so I thought) hurt for a few weeks because of a concert that required arco. I know I simply just squeezed too hard for too long. Now the pain just won't go away at all. Can't open jars, pull up socks, etc. Ridiculous!

I looked up basal joint problems and it can be serious stuff indeed for people in their 40s-50s, etc.

I'm off to the Dr. for xrays on my left hand today. The old basal joint seems to be really on the fritz.

I haven't played my upright in 2 1/2 weeks, and very little on my EB. Needless to say, I am frustated at myself for pushing too hard... and even more frustrated at not being able to play. Chops are slipping and another concert (amateur, non-paying, thankfully) is coming up, which I may have to pass on.

So, that's my tale of woe, and I hope someone else can benefit from my mistake.

-McThistle
    alias: Mr. Withdrawal