Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Base Cases

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by tellier, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Bobelock

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mooridian

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Reunion Blues

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Soundwear

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Upton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. tellier

tellier

Dec 29, 2002
    Edmonton, AB
    I need to buy a new rugged softshell bass case, preferably one with "backpack" straps. I searched the DB forum but couldn't find any info on cases. I would love to know what you use and what would you recommend?

Happy New Year,

Toby Tellier
    Edmonton, AB

2. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I've got some black factory second from which the brand name has long worn off. It has backpack straps, and I've found that for bass they aren't really all that useful. I can't fit through most doors with out bending at the knees a lot and trying not to get the top hooked on the door-frame. It's also kind of a pain to walk with it in the backpack position, as the bass keeps bumping against my legs when I try to walk, this may be because I'm pretty short though.It probably also depends on the bag.

3. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    I saw the Soundwear bags at the Midwest Clinic, and I must say it's a pretty nice bag. Bass maker Andreas Wilfer has something to do with their design and the with the Soundwear company on the whole, he was manning their booth all week. Then there's Mooradian, Bobelock, etc... The general vibe I hear is that the Bobelock is as good as Mooradian's top bag, but not nearly as spendy.

If you do a search in the DB forums for "bag"/titles only, you'll have a stack of threads to read through on the subject.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I have an Upton bag with shoulder straps, and I think I've used the straps exactly once. Decided it wasn't a good idea when I started hitting ceiling fans and light fixtures...and that was before I got to the doorway and had to stoop over. Not exactly a good, dignified exit to a successful gig.

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I share the same experience that backpack straps are not an absolute necessity. Though you do need a well padded bag AND a bass wheel.

Happy New Year to y'all !

6. Lemur music sells several models as well. Check out their website.

7. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I have a bag with backpack straps, and I usually walk to band rehearsals with the bass on my back. The longest walk is about 1/2 hour.
    I have adjusted the straps so that the lower edge of the bass is at knee height, so it doesn't obstruct my walk.

So I think it's a good way to carry the bass around. I agree that it's not very practical indoors. When I go inside I slip the bass off my back and carry it alongside.

As for the original question: I bought the bag at a local shop, it doesn't have any brand name on it.

8. tellier

tellier

Dec 29, 2002
    Edmonton, AB
    Ok, I am going to try to post a poll to see what are the most popular cases or bags for DBs and why. Here goes...

9. tellier

tellier

Dec 29, 2002
    Edmonton, AB
    I did a search for bags instead of cases - thanks that found a few more entries with useful info.

I set up a poll under "TalkBass Forums > Double Bass > Miscellaneous [DB] > Bass Cases/Bags cont...". I didn't quite know how to add it to this thread.

Thanks for the input.

Regards,

Toby Tellier

10. I'm doing research to get a good quaility gig bag too, and I came across the Tribal Planet bags. Seems to be great quaility with a lot of features. Don't have company site, but do a "Tribal Planet Chieftain" search on google and you should come across it. The top of the line Chieftain bag goes for a BIN price of $72 on ebay, Warrior (next step down) about $60.

11. I have the reunion blues bag. I bought it after having a moradian and a couple other cheaper bags and not liking them... the reunion blues is nice; very well padded, looks great and it's really well made, but it's really heavy and I found that until it got 'broken in' a bit the material was really rough and hard on my arms. The straps are also still pretty rough and unfriendly to the body... and the backpack system doesn't work at all with my bass. It's also not water resistant at all, which is a bit annoying since I live in Oregon. All in all; it's a nice bag. But for the price, (A lot) I don't think it's really worth it and I wouldn't buy one again, although I don't know of anything I'd rather own... seems there's a market for a bag that's actually good. hmmm.

12. tellier

tellier

Dec 29, 2002
    Edmonton, AB
    As recommended I looked into Tribal Planet "Chieftain" but could only find electric bass cases.

The reason I want backpack style straps is because sometimes I need to walk a distance carrying my bass outdoors and backpack straps make that really easy. Of course they don't quite cut it indoors :)

The search continues... thanks for your feedback so far - I appreciate it.

13. tellier

tellier

Dec 29, 2002
    Edmonton, AB