1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Baseball? Band? No, Baseball

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jbybj, Oct 5, 2018.

1. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I’m sitting in my car behind the venue for tonight’s gig. It’s our first time at a local bar, that for many reasons, we are anxious to make a good impression and get asked back.

They sent a very detailed email contract, outlining load in, (7pm) set times, payment, etc.

This is a sports bar. There are approximately 15 giant screen TV’s all around the room, and a 20 foot projection screen in front of the stage. Go Dodgers!!

We have been told our load in may be delayed til 9pm, because well, Baseball. God forbid the Dodger fans should have to choose which one of the 15 big screens they would have to go slumming with if they pulled up the projector screen. FMWASS

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It's a no-win for the band on nights like this. I have beem there dozens of times. You book the gig. A big playoff games winds up on the same night (in any of several sports).

They pretty much want you to shut up until the game is over.

I have set up and wound up playing commercials and halftime.

I have set up and wound up playing about all half hour when the game was over.

And once I set up and never played a note because the game went into extra innings.

I hate to say it but I wish they would just cancel the band on big game nights.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  3. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I don’t gig much. This is a first for me. At least there is a guaranteed minimum.
    I appreciate your perspective. It’s helping me not get more pissed off.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  4. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    Go Yankees.

5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Yep, it’s a no win situation.

Once, I set-up at a sports bar and we were told not to play ‘til the game was over. My friend’s band was gigging nearby at a non-sports bar, so I drove over and sat-in with them until the game was over, then went back and played my gig. :whistle:

6. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Apr 15, 2013
    should have played bandball

Low Down Brown and MattZilla like this.
  7. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    We started a half hour late, I got over it.
    The sound on stage was really good and balanced. 4 vocal mics, and an electronic kit into the PA and monitors, two guitars, bass, and keys through amps.
    The booker was doing sound and helped us get sorted in the FOH.
    It was a great room to play, and we brought about 25 people in. Full dance floor for about a set and a half.

I was having trouble with the TVs. So many, so big, I would find myself getting sucked in to some weird nonsense. I saw a bear playing basketball. And they had a channel that plays all the YouTube fails. I had to work at it to maintain my focus sometimes.
    Probably related to this, a first for me, in 35 out of 36 songs tonight, I made a notable error. My error rate is usually 10-30%. Had a great groove with the drummer, and the songs. I felt like when a dog sees a squirrel.

On the plus side, there was a local high school football game on when we were playing. Sometimes there were cheers and applause during a song. When you listen to the recording it sounds like they are cheering for us.

Mr_Moo, MCF, Londo Molari and 10 others like this.
  8. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Go Dodgers!
    Yeah, it's a drag, especially when you've really been looking forward to playing. However, it's the nature of the beast when you sign on to play at a sports bar.

I have no doubt your future gigs will go better! Relax, have fun and GO DODGERS!

9. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I haven't been in that exact situation before. It would be frustrating. But half hour delay isn't too bad. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I never got to play in that situation. I figure I'd be pretty PO'd.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  10. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I remember playing in a bar during, yes during an OSU game (go Bucks!) with the TV volume off/caption on. We finished a song and the crowd went WILD!!! Yep OSU scored. We all had really BIG heads for about 3 seconds.:hyper:

11. Ekulati

Ekulati Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    As an L.A. transplant to the east coast, game started here around our second set. No TVs visible from the stage, which was a good thing frankly. But I actually caught the 8th and 9th innings after our last set. Go Dodgers! (And they haven't even seen our best pitcher yet...WB)

MCF, Gumby562, nixdad and 1 other person like this.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Their job is to keep as many customers there, happy, and spending money, not keep the band happy. It's a sports bar. The local game is on TV. They are hoping that after the game, the patrons will stay around and listen to you, not get up and leave when you get in the way of the 20 foot screen.

13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I went to a gentlemen's club... once.

Turns out, they had the Cowboys on.

I'm watching the game, and one of the girls walks up, asking if I liked her dance...

"I'm sorry. I didn't notice. I was watching the game."

Pretty sure I didn't receive any service for the rest of my visit...

... I was okay with it, though... it was only preseason.

JRA, MCF, the harp unstrung and 3 others like this.
  14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    If I got a check at the end of the night, and didn't play a note, yeah I'd be frustrated, too...

... with a smile... an even bigger smile, if my team was playing and won.

15. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Been there many times....more so with hockey playoffs than baseball. I’ve had load ins delayed until 10pm in order to play one long set. This in places that are combination Irish pubs, sports bars, suburban restaurants and live music venues which is the common situation in this neck of the woods.

What we’ve done when we know there’ll be a conflict is to set up in the afternoon and then roll in around 9pm and relax instead of getting wound around the axle. As soon as the last whistle blows we’d be ready to play...if the home team wins, then the crowd is in a party mood and tends to stick aroun. When the home team loses, well...not so much.

Edit: this only works when there’s a dedicated stage space....if you have to move tables to set the band up, you’re SOL.

16. TWolf

TWolf

Jan 20, 2011
    Georgia
    Go Braves !!!

FF Petro and the harp unstrung like this.
  17. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Go Cards!!!

scuzzy, tgriley62 and BWorm like this.
  18. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    We played last night at a bar while the Sox/Yankees game was going. Crowd reaction was much less enthusiastic than normal. We also got stopped mid-set at another spot when a Celtics playoff game was going. Nothing you can do, as long as you're still getting your money then just go with it.

19. sacreddog717

sacreddog717

Jun 20, 2006
    Dublin, CA
    upload_2018-10-6_7-44-22.

Attached Files:

20. Woolber

Woolber Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2013
    Canada
    NO, NO, NO!