Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Baseball Cards

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    I useed to be a big collector when i was a kid and was just wondering what the current market is for these bubble gum smelling peices of cardboard.

i think i will probably just end up selling the 3 binders worth i can find and go about my merry way.

just wondering....

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I was just wondering this recently as I still have all 25,000 sports cards that I collected as a kid and young teen. I looked around on Ebay and it looks like some of them can be worth quite a bit, but you don't really get the most for them unless you have them professionally graded by one of a couple of different grading services. You send them the cards and (for a fee of course) they seal them in a holder and put a label on it grading it according to a certain scale. In general there appeared to be a HUGE difference in what you could get for a card if it was graded vs. not being graded and sealed.

This is what I observed just from looking at completed auctions on Ebay. Could vary with independent dealers. I've been out of that hobby for a long time.

brad cook

3. I've got a small collection of baseball cards.

Go out and get a Beckett price guide. They come out every month. Or if you want, I'll take them off your hands for free. :D

also, Graded cards can usually triple or quadruple the price of a card. I've got an Ichiro rookie card graded 8.5/10, worth right around $200. The exact same card not graded is worth maybe $35.

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hmmmm... Maybe I should have some of my stuff graded? I was surprised to find my Brett Favre autographed football card was only worth about 50 bucks. The man's a three-time MVP, people!

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    If you have ANYTHING to ask about collecting baseball cards you can ask my dad...

PM me for his email address

bp13