1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Baseball fans, is it your right to keep the ball

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Why all of the fuss over a ball when it gets hit out of the park and a fan catches it? Does it really matter if it's Bonds, Mcguire, Arod?? please tell why a fan should have to give the ball back if he does not want to. Does he not have every right to cash in on an aprx 54$ baseball that turns into a potential thousand or million bucks if it is part of a record? Heck, the guy who caught Arods ball had lost his home prior to that big catch. Can anyone blame him for wanting to sell it to the highest bidder if he chooses?

Seems to me this is more about tradition then ones right to keep vs give up the ball. I see nothing wrong with it if he wants to keep if for his collection, of sell it back to the hitter, give it to the team for free, or what-ever, but it should be his choice without getting bashed for it.

2. After paying big bucks to see the game, eat $5 hot dogs and $7 beers, I would keep the ball and not thing twice about giving it back :spit:

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    At a pro game, you get to keep the ball.

At a Little League game, I think the sporting thing to do is give it back.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I would give it back if the player asked for it. In all of my years of going to games, I have never caught a ball that the player asked to have back.

I have caught a Griffey homer. I was so hoping he would send someone to the stands to barter for it.

-Mike

5. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    I am assuming you get more than 1 hot dog for 5 bucks, heck I just bought a pack of 10 Hebrew Nationals which are suppose to be very healthy hotgs for 3.89. and I agree totally with you. I am sure you pay parking too yes???

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    I've seen them only in packages of seven.

Excellent hot dogs, BTW.

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd walk over hot coals for a game ball if I wanted it enough. It's the same at football matches, if a shot goes wide and high and ends up in the crowd the stewards expect you to throw the ball back!

8. I've seen a few international matches and some people don't give the balls back and it really pisses some people.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I've been at Newcastle games where the stewards have came into the stands and wrestled the balls off small children. I know it's not their right to keep a ball that is property of the club, but hey, no need to manhandle a 7 year old for it.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
  11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    lol team sports

12. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    cheerleading is a spectator sport

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

You bought a pack of dogs at a ballpark?

14. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    Nah, I should have been more clear, I meant at the Store, and there were only 7, must have been looking to hard.:D

15. That guy who caught the home run guy's (whatshisname? Babe Ruth? :ninja: Not a baseball fan.) ball has to pay tax. WTH?

16. For what they're getting paid, they can just bite the bullet and let the fan keep the ball! It's like a rock guitarist throwing out picks at a concert. Sorry; I have no sympathy for the well-paid sports personell that keep wining about their problems! I got problems and no one is offering me millions of dollars per activity to do what I do!:scowl:

17. im sure the player could buy it back if he really wanted it.

18. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Here's my $.07 cents (inflation):

If you don't want me to keep a ball, don't hit it to me!

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I wonder if anyone has ever fluffed a catch and lost some teeth to the ball. I recall being at a football game where someone got hit square in the face with a ball from a missed shot.

20. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    ditto. also, if they only have one ball. :D