Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Baseball Hall of Fame/Pete Rose

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    So why is it such a big deal as to whether or not Pete Rose gets into the Baseball Hall of fame, he bet on the game and has been outcast since, I dont support what he did/ nor do I think it is a big deal, but can you tell me that everyone else in the Hall of Fame are Squeaky clean? I thought you got in based on how well you played baseball, I just think its a bit of overkill, and I don't think the rules are enforced equally across the board, as far as character is concerned, he never confess to being a "choir boy"

thoughts :meh:

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I agree up until a point. He was a MANAGER/PLAYER while he was betting on baseball, and that I think, is his Achilles heel.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    My dad used to take me to watch the "Big Red Machine" tear up the Padres every time they came to town. He was something to see.
    I think it's because he didn't come clean for so long, for some reason Americans are willing to forgive if you come clean, but never forget if you don't.
    But if you look at the state the NFL and NBA are in, I would tend to agree, and I don't see them taking anyone out of the record books for steroid use.

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    The rules definitely aren't applied equally.
    Inside baseball.
    Across sports.
    Across professions.

The guy was a great player, and he was great for the game when he played. There's been enough nonsense over this.
    He absolutely deserves to be in the Hall.

If we pulled every player out of the Hall who has sinned, we'd empty the place quick.

I say - his b*lls have been busted enough. Let it go now and let the guy in.

5. I agree - if you let roid monsters in the hall of fame, you can't keep Pete out.

I actually met Pete in the summer...seemed like a complete jerk, but that doesn't change the fact he was a great player.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Pete bet on his own team as a player and a manager. He finally admitted to what he'd been accused of. Does anyone have a problem with him covering a point spread?

Apparently MLB does.

He might've helped his case years ago by coming clean. Instead he's gone back and forth between being being angry, being innocent and being contrite. According to a story in USA today earlier this week, he also corked his bat.

I agree that the roidsters shouldn't be eligible.

7. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA

Greeting Brad, I hear what you are saying, but does that negate what he did on the field as a player, which is what is suppose to be used as measuring rod to quailify one as a canidate for Hall of Fame? I have no doubts he has lied and went to and fro with his story, but once again, if character is going to be used as a measuring stick, they need to apply it equally and across the board, and I will stick my neck out on this and say, I am sure he is not the ONLY one who has done such a thing, he's just the one who got caught:meh:

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This belongs in Off-Topic. I'll move it there now.

Remember: Music related - Miscellaneous. Non-Music Related - Off Topic.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    By all accounts, Ty Cobb was one of the worst human beings that ever swung the lumber. Dude beat up a guy with no hands. He was implicated in multiple gambling scandals. Yet, there he sits, snugly in the hall of fame. If a piece of crap like Ty Cobb can sit in there then I guess why not Rose?

Err... on the other hand you have Shoeless Joe Jackson who STILL isn't eligible for the hall of fame after the 1919 Black Sox scandal.. One thing is clear...whoever said they are not consistent is certainly correct.

brad cook

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Rose isn't in, not because of his sins, but because he didn't smooch behinds quickly and consistently enough. It's all about the power, politics, and egos of the characters involved, not about what is right for baseball or the fans.

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Squeaky clean? No. But when you walk into any Major League clubhouse you will see a sign that says if you bet on baseball it's a lifetime ban. It doesn't say that about being an @sshole or a drug dealer or even a murderer. If it were me I'd take it seriously and if I broke the rules I'd expect to pay the price.

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Yeah, but shouldn't a lifetime ban mean he can't manage
    or GM, not that he can't be in the hall for what did on the field?

13. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    He might get in, but everytime I hear his name, I think of Kane tombstoning him

14. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Yeah you may be right after all he was one of the greatest players in my lifetime anyway.

I'm still waiting for Ron Santo to get in. Easily one of the top 5 3rd basemen to ever play the game. And a nice guy too if we are counting that as a prerequisite.:bag:

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Always a good plus. ;)

16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    someone got all those hits...

17. He may have played baseball well but didn't represent his sport very well. I can honestly see why he is not in there.

18. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    His records are all over the place in there. I dont' see why it would be such a grave insult to baseball to let Pete in. I'm sure bigger jerks are in there already (of course Cobb, but plenty more I'm sure).

I agree. It's all about politics and stuff. Especially considering Selig's history.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Yes, it does IMO. He broke a cardinal rule of baseball. he was a manager betting on his own games. How serious is that?

Extremely serious IMO. he was in a position to affect the game, in effect SELL the game in order to profit. It's bad enough doing that as a player, imagine doing that as a manager. Wait, you don't have to imagine, Pete did it.

If this is okay, what isn't? What other rules could be repeatedly and knowingly broken IYO. This is the worst gambling infraction you could have so any other gambling should be cool. Is drug abuse any worse? Not IMO. So what would keep someone out... murder?

That gets me to your negating what he did on the field thing. Yes, IMO it does. Anyone paying attention to any records OJ set anymore? Anyone care about all the fine acting Robert Blake did over his career? Anyone want to get Mercury Morris into the NFL HOF?

In short, being a major f-up can negate everything.

As far as Cobb going in, he was a known a-hole and that was another time. If anyone wants to timeshift Rose back to the 1930's and get him in, cool. I have no problem with that. I have no problem with Rose going into the HOF either but I can certainly understand why MLB would.

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    And that in a nutshell is the point. He's a piss poor representative of the game.