Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Based on the guitars I like...please tell me which Bass I would like

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by doublestop, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Hey guys, I'm a long time guitar player venturing into basses......please advice me which bass is right for me, given my preference in guitars.

My favorit guitar is my G&L Asat. Ash body, maple neck, fat modern single coil pickups. A modern take on a vintage guitar (i.e. Telecaster). I like my guitars to sound clear, yet warm, complex, non-agressive, yet articulate........(ooops, that's a lot of wordsss.).

I don't like muffled sounds, and I don't like agressive, or shred-style guitars either...

My music is modern blues and melodic rock.

I guess the bass I want sounds warm, round, but also clear, sort of like a modern take on a classic.....Also, it should be very playable and corfortable....

In short: what bass would have the vibe my G&L Asat guitar has? What woods/ pick up selection would I want?

2. Get a stingray, they're smooth as buttah

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I agree with funkycarnivore. Check out the ASAT bass, they are probably right up your alley!

4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I agree with Funky too..
    I own an ASAT bass.. and it's just what you described. My main player.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Try out as many basses as you can through an amp that is as close as the one you'll be using.

Asking which instrument's sound is "right" for you is like asking on a website which food will taste best to you.

Your own ears and your fingers (playablity references) are the ultimate judge.

6. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I agree. I'd like to add that what makes a bass great and what makes a guitar great are very different. I, personally, love Fender basses, but don't like Fender guitars at all. Conversely, I really like Ibanez guitars, but can't stand Ibanez basses. ASAT basses are not very comfortable to me, but that's only my taste.

7. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I think you should try a bunch of em out but I'd suggest maybe try a Marcus Miller artist series? Its also made of Ash body, Maple neck, and you can play it active or passive... Kinda cool for melodic things in active mode :) but thats just my 2 cents

8. I absolutely must second this statement. You can make them sound very raw and cutting, but, roll back the mids and treble a little and play by the neck...;)

Also, don't rule out those Gibsons. I haven't heard a Les Paul bass live in about 8 years, but, the last time I did it was sweet. Just read that line, "...and the hot TB plus pickups provide expanded lows, crisp highs and distinctive mid-range you won't find in any other bass pickup." It almost sells you on words alone.

Les Paul http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/bass/LPStandardBass.html

Thunderbird
    http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/bass/ThunderbirdIV.html

Good luck,
    Mike

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    [​IMG]

though it can get aggressive in active mode, you can run it passive and get all the traditional Fender tones. Very versatile! Slap a strap extender on it and the ergonomics need not worry you.

From what you described, it might just be your cup of tea!

Of course, you should always try whatever you can get your hands on, you never know what might excite you!

10. Thank you guys.

I know, the smart thing is to try 'em all and see what you like. But the stores over here don't have too many basses, and I'm eyeballing E-Bay all the time.

But I guess I WILL go out and try a couple of basses. (And try not to be ashamed of my playing.....I know my way no a guitar's fretboard, but I'm a beginner on bass. Guess I won't dime that amp!)

Thanx for all the good suggestions. I love this forum.