Based on these criteria, which delay?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BunchyMutt, Dec 16, 2016.

1. BunchyMutt

BunchyMutt Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    - reverse delay
    - self-oscillation/swell (independent of expression pedal input, unless you can assign self-oscillation/swell to the exp pedal on top of other control assignments)
    - tap tempo
    - subdivisions of some sort
    - expression pedal input
    - <$200 ideally (though this is flexible, though a firm <$300)
    - mix
    - tone control of some sort
    - trails/tails

Other than those, I don't need fancy soundscape creation ability like the Helix mode on SA Nemesis.

Anything out there exist?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  2. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    image.jpeg

emjazz and GentProvocateur like this.
  3. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    haha, the Avalanche Run is actually one reason why I posted this thread. I love it's features and I've thought I've been wanting it for a long time, but thinking more about it and listening to sound clips, I'm not sure I like the inherent character of it (really shimmery?) and I think I'd prefer to have a separate delay and reverb.

But maybe not.

4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Boss DD-7 gets you everything but the subdivisions, no? They go for about $100 usd used, maybe $150 new.

EHX DMM w/tap tempo gets you everything but tails and maybe the multiple expression control.

I think there are any number that get you 95% to what you want, but it's rare for that specific feature set to get crammed into something affordable.

GentProvocateur likes this.
  5. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    Yeah I'm finding that. Based on that reality, and my budget I'm now thinking about getting both a Hardwire DL-8 and something else, maybe a Line 6 Echopark, which can both be hooked up to my SA reflex expression pedal.

6. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Why not get two cheap ones that cover the ground you're looking for. The DD-6 is maybe my favorite noise box ever - it can do self oscillation, stutter/glitch/resample sound... I've gotten tremolo and stuck flanger sounds too. $60 used usually. You could pair that with something that does more tap tempo and expression stuff.

7. BunchyMutt

Jul 3, 2014
    nice, I was looking at the DD-7 also since it has the expression/external tap tempo switch input. Only issue is that it's one input for both :)