1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basement bands with managers?????

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by spade2you, Sep 14, 2008.

1. I have an ad up locally (practically begging to join a freaking band) and a local metal band manager approached me. All they have is a half-assed myspace page and fairly stupid band name (The Lords of Metal). Naturally, the "manager" is the gui****'s wife. Of course, she was promising me that they were killer and started dropping names (that I've never heard of) on who is going to help make them famous.

She wanted to discuss business over dinner then have me audition. I told her that I wanted to hear music first and that I felt that she was trying to run a mom n' pop store like a Fortune 500 company. The trail went cold, as I suspect she was unwilling to release the vice of her control over their "dream". I'm no marketing guru, although I suspect I have significantly more management experience and common sense, but I don't think basement bands need managers, even if she's related to a band member.

LOL, I'm not asking for advice as I just don't think a metal band with more cliches than you can shake a stick at is a worthy venture. Heh, more along the lines that sometimes staying at home is better than playing on stage with a horrible band. :p

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Run away ..way away from that mess. I have seen it before the wife,brother,cousin who's the bands manager and says the band is gonna be bigger than the Stones ...just join you will see :rolleyes: Ya a basement band trying to punch out covers or crappy originals praying for a gig once in awhile.

3. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    I don't think there is anything wrong with a band having a manager from the outset at all. A manager can outsource all the mundane things that might distract a band from their music like booking gigs and so on.

What I think the big red flag is in this case is that it's someone's wife in the band that doesn't seem to know what they are doing. I always shudder at this "let's do lunch before we audition you" concept. It's a big waste of time and has utterly no meaning other than they want to see if you are wearing the right outfit. As far as I am concerned they should be looking to see whether you can play first, then they can talk about their "image" and get to know you.

When someone uses name dropping as a way to convince you of the worthyness of a band it is always a worry too. A manager should be talking to you about the gameplan of the band, what rehearsals, gigs, marketing strategies the band has, what the band wants to accomplish. A resume of what the band has actually done is appropriate too, but saying you know this, that and the other "producer" or A&R guy, for example is meaningless. At the end of the day anyone that doesn't offer demo up from the start is probably wasting your time.

The fact that someone in the band has their wife as the manager means right away that you are going to have to deal with an external source who has a vested interest in taking their side in any disagreement that might arise. Managers should be neutral and professional. Just watch Spinal Tap and you will see what I mean.

4. Andy419

Andy419

Aug 13, 2007
    Wow that has every symptom of a horrible wannabe band. First, it's a basement metal band. That generally isn't good. Second, they are called The Lords of Metal. Wow... Third, the guitarist's WIFE is the manager. Seriously, what kind of management skills can she have. And that's just a disaster waiting to happen cuz marriages always have their fights. Run far, far away.

5. That name is pretty lame and belongs in a Spinal Tap movie. I'd probably laugh if I saw that on a marquee. Not just because it's corny but also cuz lord sounds alot like the Danish word for excrement. :D

If you've been following TexasBassChick's saga of her previous band you know what can happen when there's a husband/wife connection.

6. LOL, after seeing Spinal Tap, I don't think I could ever work in an environment where a spouse/girlfriend was involved, I don't care what kind of money is involved! Oh yeah, I got the name wrong, it's the Lords of Steel.....not that this is much of an improvement. :p

Anyway, the manager seemed pretty dumb. I hardly consider myself a band leader or some sort of clever marketing guru, but I'd wager money that I could do her job much better half drunk! :D

7. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Well Steel is a Metal...close enough :) keep those feet hittin pavement ...Run Forest Run :smug:

8. [​IMG]

....if ever there was a poster child for gui****.....would this work???

9. "The Lords of Steel"... it just kind of begs for mockery doesn't it?

10. scottmabe

scottmabe

Mar 29, 2008
    Memphis Tn
    Been there before... but with a twist.
    The man and his wife and her brother had a Production Company. Name droppers OMG... so we go the office/house. I watched the man eat a handful of pills, washed down with some cool malt liquor. I winked and nodded to the other guys in the band... wait and see what happens right.
    The guy starts babbling in about a half hour, brother in law tries to sell us some pot. Wife seems to be the sane-est one of the bunch and she just babbling away about who she USED to work for etc...had top leave for better opportunities.. babble babble.

We stuck around for another hour just to see what would happen.... The man is passed out, brother in law still trying to sell us pot and the wife is cooking macaroni helper....waaaay too weird so we split en mass.....:confused:

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Nigel Tufnel: You can't ****ing concentrate because your ****ing wife! Simple as that, alright? It's your ****ing wife!

David St. Hubbins: She's not my wife.

Nigel Tufnel: Well whatever **** she is, alright? You can't concentrate!

LOL x1000 :D

12. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Band management is tough, all those logistics to work out. Better if someone NOT involved in the creative process is handling the details.

That being said, sounds like you have read all the signals and made the right choice. Don't know if it is better to sit at home than to play but living "somewhere in the middle America" might have geographic limitations.

13. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I agree. Unfortunately, I know first hand how annoying that problem can be. The rhythm guitarist in my band over the summer felt like were were destined to become a big sensation in music, but we were simply mediocre. I didn't want to bash his dreams of making it big, but there are some things that you can't always achieve through hard work and dedication. It doesn't matter how many shows we play if it's always to the same audience.

It got to be quite embarrassing being associated with the band. The idea of a manager for such a small operation made it all seem like it was for play, not for the purpose of making music and enjoying the process.

14. I guess it's safe to say you won't be bringing your Rob Allen to that gig?

Is that his wife in the next picture on the Myspace page?

I would be embarrassed to say the name of my band was Lords of Steel. "KNEEL BEFORE US IN SERVITUDE OH SLAVES OF METAL FOR WE ARE YOUR MASTERS, THE LORDS OF STEEL!!!" Wrrrrrettcchhhh!!!

15. wow.

I had no idea they were in Omaha.

I live in Gretna. 20 miles away.

I fear for my life.

Spade, what kind of music do you like to play?

16. ....just a little. As Spinal Tap has said, there's a fine line between clever and stupid. This is well beyond that fine line.

True dat, although I simply think she likes to talk and pretend she's a manager. I personally hold managers and musicians to the same standard when it comes to being qualified. In Omaha, it seems like some spouses and significant others like to play the role of a Yoko. Some are simply failed musicians.

Heh, probably not. Speaking of Rob Allen, I joked with him about taking one of my Rob Allen basses to an audition or gig for a Poison tribute band. He laughed and was polite about it, but I could tell he wanted to say, "please do not do such a thing with one of my basses. I can get you a headstock that says 'definitely not a Rob Allen bass!!!'". :p

I like lots of stuff, although I'm too old for the NU metal....even though I went to NWU. These days I lean towards jazz and fusion because there are less temper tantrums than rock (although that's exactly what broke up my last jam band) or snobbery of some of the indie bands. I still like old school metal, but it's simply NOT fun being in a band with them. Sometimes stayin' at home is better than playing a horrible gig.

17. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    OMG :rollno: LMAO :D

18. Andy419

Andy419

Aug 13, 2007

I've been in a similar situation, except I was the one who wanted us to really get serious. The two guitarists in it (one lead player and one rhythym/singer) were in another band with the lead guitarists 2 cousins and they were WAY more dedicated to that than anything. Eventually I just stopped trying, and I will admit being associated with that band was a bit embarrasing. (Nothing against the people just the music we played). I now play in an awesome funk rock band and I'm happier in that than I ever was in my old band.

19. Did she ask if you wanted to record an album in dubly

20. The poor guy has no idea he's being mocked on Talkbass...