Basement recording nowadays?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Mar 30, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    I wa watching VH-1 the other day and Black Sabbath wer on there saying their debut single was recorded in 9 hours in Ozzy Ozbourne's basement, also the Led Zeppelin album was done in 30 hours in a basement. In this day and age would that kind of technique be able to be used, i mean Wheatus did it for their album, would it be possible to day and sound really good?
  2. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    yep; actually, it's a lot easier nowadays, considering you can have a 24-track digital workstation in your basement.

for a more recent example, Phil Collins recorded a lot of the basic tracks for his solo albums at home; he even recorded "Both Sides" (released in 1993) entirely at home.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah but like Phil Collins doesn't live in a small run-down appartment! ;) I think it would be pretty easy to record at "home" if you're living in a 24-bedroom mansion in the Surrey countryside!

My band recorded at the trumpet player's brother-in-law's "home" - which was very similar - swimming pool tennis courts, gym and Cher and Celine Dion dropping by occasionally. And in his converted "barn", he has a 36-track digital recording set-up!

There are basements and basements! The only problem you will have in most places is getting a decent drum sound - you need a decent space and a lot of mikes that won't "bleed" into each other. If you're using programmed drums it's much easier and you can get a "pro" quality recording in your bedroom! But the more instruments that need to be mic'd up, the more problems you will have getting a decent sound.
  4. But the reality is with the technology available if you have a decent space you can make amazing recordings in your basement, garage, living room or bed room. My home studio is in a bed room with all of my instruments and if a band comes over we can set up in the living room and get amazing drum sounds and my living room isn't all that big. With affordable recording mics, direct recording devices and plug ins you can get a desktop or computer recording progranm that smokes the technology available even 10 years ago much less 30 years ago. It can often be a lot less expensive to buy one of those recorders and with some patience and skill make as good or an even better recording at home than in a studio. .
  5. my band recorded in my guitarists basment on a tascan 4 track. we only used two tracks. so yes there is home recording now days.
  6. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I know that I can get some good stuff out of my guitar players digital stuff, I know the basics on how to operate it, but not as well as he does. I know that some people prob. have more expensive/nicer gear in here, but there is no substitute for a good studio. A DJ from a radio station just saw us play and promised us airtime, but I sure as hell don't want to give him the stuff that we do in my basement, a studio is a studio regardless, and I know that there are some ****ty ones out there, but if you can find a good one, go for it.
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    There is some amazing software out there by Cakewalk, qbase, Steinberg, etc. that allow you to record mix and master on a PC or Mac. It's not exactly cheap but it's cheaper than studio time in most cases. (ignoring the folks who claim "my half cousin Sparky recorded our band directly to wax cylinder for fifty three cents last year in his outhouse"). Home recording and the flexible nature of digital sound are really opening up the market for indies to come back. -B
  8. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    What are u talking about, I have more than that right now on this dell PIII650Mhz and it belongs to the company(je je).

I would say that yours is a real understatement! really
  9. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    it was just an example.
  10. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I know, I am just kidding
  11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's how Green Day recorded their first CD. Look at the sound quality and popularity of that one!
  12. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Well, our Soon To Be Finished Honest! demo was recorded using Cool Edit Pro on our guitarist's computer, and it sounds good. My bass was DI'ed (although he did put some compression on with an effects box, and plugged it into a PA system, which was in turn plugged into the computer.) and the guitar & vocals went through a mike, into the same PA setup.

The only problem we had was the drums, which we recorded in a studio, and then burned onto a CD in WAV form. The only thing stopping us from recording them in the house was a lack of mics.

If you want to record on a four track, or something similar, then the drums will probably again be the main problem. The first time my old band recorded, we used two overhead mikes, either side of the kit. The only problem with this is that the bass drum won't be picked up very well. On the whole though, if you just want to record yourselves playing live, you can easily use a four track - just don't expect too much room when you're mixing.
  13. Well, I have a very cheap way of recording. I bought Acid 2.0 for 70 bucks and put it on my Compaq Pentium 3 that I got in January. I run a cheap $5 mic to my little Crate BX-15 practice bass amp, and record all guitar and bass parts through it. Acid has a bunch of drum loops so I just use those for the drums and make my songs that way. If anyone wants to hear my songs, go to (plug! ;)) and check out a few of the songs!