Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bases at NAMM

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Steve Swan, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Finding good double basses at NAMM in Anaheim isn't as hard as it used to be. Wading through the forests of day-glo electric guitars, every kind of world music percussion instrument, mountains of brass and clarinets, and vast stretches of pianos, there were little islands of bass fiddles to be played and looked over. I fully expected the Chinese instruments to have taken a quantum leap foreward in cosmetic and tonal quality this year, but they haven't. One of the Eastmans with a heavily bearclaw figured top did look pretty sharp, but... Some day they will get it, but I don't feel or hear it yet.

Highlights of the show for me were nice Ceruti, Panormo, and Grancino reproductions by Gill of Germany, Wilfer's six or seven 3/4 and 4/4 basses in various quality levels, Paesold's German-made 4/4 and 3/4 basses, and a couple of newly redesigned lighter weight Romanian instruments from EMMC. There were lots of nice bows from Germany and France, a snakewood German-syle bow from Wilfer was my favorite. Gotz had their usual nice assortment of bridges, bows, endpins, and some tools. I should have asked them to bring some more gut strings this year!

I looked up Ken Smith and we passed about 20 minutes talking about some old basses that he has had or played. I missed a few comments from him here and there due to some electric buzz-saw guitars going off every now and then. When a youngster started crunching some unrelenting distorted rhythm riffs 2 booths over, I sadly had to excuse myself to make another appointment. At the EMMC booth I got to spend some time on Wednesday and Thursday with Barrie Kolstein, who was very generous with his time and good-natured commentary. The Paesold booth featured a Jazz Cafe where many good jazz bassists would play with small groups or perform short solo sets.

I had a fine time and it makes me want to go to the ISB convention this summer.

Steve Swan
    Retailer of fine acoustic guitars and double basses
    (No, I won't give you the web address. You're now supposed to look the darn thing up yourself! ;) )

2. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Ouch!!! :eek:

3. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    I'm just trying to stay well within the guidelines for Commercial Users. We are not allowed to post our website addresses any more. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make our hosts happy. This is the best bass forum on the net.

Steve Swan :smug: