Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bashed Bongo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim Ingraham, May 2, 2004.

1. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Not your typical Bongo bashing thread... I picked up this guy yesterday at a well known shop in Eastern Pa...
    [​IMG]

Now all you Bongo owners out there know how great these basses play and sound and Im afraid that i was so taken with its charms that i neglected to closely inspect it physically.
    When I got home and actually took a good look I was horrified to see this:
    [​IMG]

Needless to say I was pretty bummed :( :( :(
    But I figured it was my own stupid fault for missing this in the store so I resigned myself to a owning a bass with instant "character". I mean this bass just sounds so good , i can learn to live with a bashed in headstock so i played it a coulpe more hours and went to bed happy :p

Ok so I wake up this morning and decide to take a few pics to post here and set up to take one of the back and see this weird relflection in my viewfinder.....
    [​IMG]

***!!!! this is about the size of a pea!!

I mean what do they do in this store, use their guitars for batting practice??

Now I did get this at a sale price (999) but it was still sold as new. And I know I should of looked at it closer... but still

Im just really bummed again :crying:
    Now its Sunday and I dont think the store will be open today, so I wont be able to talk to them till tomorrow.

Do you think they should take it back or am I stuck with my bashed Bongo since I walked out of the store with it?

2. I say, unless it plays better thatn the other Bongos in the store then keep it. If not take it back for a new one.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Take it back.

4. At this point, I think you would be at the mercy of the store and your relationship with them. What's to keep them from saying that you did that on the way home? Since you didn't say anything in the store, that's how it could go down. The other option they have is to say that the bass was on sale precisely because of the damage and you got what you paid for. Dicey either way.

I would honestly assess how well you know these guys and trust their honesty before I chose to go back with these problems. NOT that I'm not confrontational - Hell, I like nice rhubarb as well as the next guy but...the bass was bought at a sale price and you DID ignore some of the golden rules of purchasing an instrument. If your relationship is good with them, you might approach it by asking them if why the bass was on sale - before you say anything about the damage. Don't accuse them of foisting it off, just informational. You could even go at it by raving about the bass and wonder aloud why it would go for that little. Be nice. If you're lucky, they'll acknowledge the problem and work something out.

5. Id take it back.
    Maybe put the money down on another Bongo if thats what you want.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Personally, I'd take it back, BUT..that was a damn good price, and perhaps, reflected the damage. I LOVE that color. When I own a bongo, thats gonna be the color.

7. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Thanks for the replys guys:
    Trouble is there are no other Bongos in the store and I really do love it otherwise so i think I'm going to just email them the pics, explain the situation and see what they say ... the stores about an hour and a half away so its also a pain just running it right back.
    I thought the price was pretty good too but if the damage was the reason for the sale shouldnt it have been disclosed?
    As far as my own negligence(sp?), I suppose i tend to pay less critical attention to a new bass off the rack with tags hanging all over it than i would a used bass. That being said, Hambones right in that I did walk out with it and I'm a afraid its my problem now. But we'll see...

8. Take it back. The defects are very obvious. They painted over the dings at the factory. (IMO)

9. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    If they sold it as new, they should have something like a 14 day return policy (some have 45) on it. I'd take it back at the first available opportunity.

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'm with Hambone on this one... Caveat Emptor... Once you walk out of the store with the bass and no mention of the damage, it's a done deal. No legal way of telling when or where the damage occurred, more your word against theirs. If you didn't ask first 'Why is this selling so low?' then IMO they're not obligated to mention it... Besides, as you say yourself... don't hurt the playin' of it none...

'New' to the store probably means 'Not Previously Owned' while to many of us means 'Pristine'... Not to bash Guitar Center, but many of their 'New' basses are pretty hammered, (which is an excellent tool to use when haggling prices ;) )...

Either way, politeness, (which seems to be your chosen path), is going to get you much farther than a rant. For my dime, I'd be fine finding a 1K Bongo in that condition...

-robert

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    You can't possibly think it shipped from Ernie Ball like that, can you? :meh:

Those are very obvioulsy in store dings, but whether they are bad enough to merit taking back when you got it for so cheap is something only you can decide, really.

12. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Decided to call the store on the off chance somebody was around doing inventory or something and the store manager picked up. He was very nice... said to email him the pics and he'll talk to the owner and either order me another or give me a few more bucks off. Cool :bassist:

13. OK, I'm not a lawyer, but I'm sure this is nonsense. If a store knows something has a significant defect surely they can't have a legal right to sell it as "new". You're not buying a used item "as is" but supposedly a brand new instrument. Certainly the store's web site doesn't mention any problems with this item. (Interestingly they don't show the back of this bass in the photo although they do so for many others!)

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear how this turns out. It certainly makes me very hesitant to buy something (especially sight unseen) from this place based on what I've read so far.

14. 'new' generally means 'not owned by anyone other than the factory and the store before being sold'. When you go to a factory outlet and buy "seconds", they're also new.

Defects do not affect 'newness'. It's just new and beat-up.

15. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Im not sure the store even knew about the bunges... theyre really kind of hard to see unless the light is pretty bright and this bass hung in kinda a dark corner... As far as a website goes this particular store doesnt currently have one or at least its down ... i found it thru the Ernie Ball sites dealer locater (which is pretty accurate BTW) and the pics were mine from this morning ..not the store's.
    As far as the price goes, it wasnt that big a mark - off. The ticket price like 1125 or something. Im guessing they put it on sale cause it's been there a while... Bongos are perhaps a bit xtreme for this area yet :D but i dont really know.

At any rate, Im off to practice to try it out!! :bassist:

16. Oops! Guess I had the wrong famous bass store in Pennsylvania!

17. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hence the IMO, (In My Opinion)...

-robert

18. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    That's shop damage.

19. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    In the UK, at least, you are able to take an item back and get a full refund if the item is damaged or faulty, unless you were clearly told about the damage beforehand, or it was blindingly obvious when you looked at the item.

You should definately be able to get a refund - if they sell an item "as new", then it shouldn't have heaps of dirty great dents in it.

20. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    Looks like shop damage. The Bongos have a special type of finish that is supposed to be flexible - to help compensate for the relatively soft basswood body. It appears to function as intended - the sizable ding on the back is not "through the paint", and the damage shown in the first pic held the finish pretty well given the extent of the damage. It gives the appearance of being "touched up".