1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bashing G C

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rockscott, Jan 19, 2017.

1. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I see a lot of bashing of g c here @ talkbass. My experience has been the complete opposite! I have been quite pleased with the level of customer service i have received from them and i have done a lot of business with them! Give credit where credit is due!

jebmd, BIGEJ2, 1954bassman and 8 others like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Okay.

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Some people go for the low-hanging fruit. Add in the prior corporate $$$ issue, and they make a handy whipping boy for some.

Shepp-27, saltydude and Immigrant like this.
  4. Really? The only complaint I've ever had about GC was that it needs a good vacuuming.:beaver: Place is a dump.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    There are seven guitar centers within about twenty miles of me and another two in Jersey. I've been to all of them. In all my dealings over the years with nine guitar centers, I've encountered mostly rude idiots. There have been a few nice guys but it doesn't matter. I don't need them. They offer me nothing but the place where there are used basses. If they had self checkout there'd be no use for them at all.

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    What does this have to do with basses??

7. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    My experiences have been mixed. The positives have been some great deals on properly functioning used gear. The negatives were used gear which I purchased on line that was listed in excellent condition and in reality was defective.

Some of their staff can be cool while others can be rude. Some know what they are doing and others don't know jack. I remember once going to a guitar center in New Jersey and seeing a used GK 800RB in great condition. I told one of their staff that I would like to try in out. He connects the head to a 4 ohm 810 through the 8 ohm HI jack. I disconnect it and put the cable in the proper 4 ohm LO jack. I walked out of the store with the head, but luckily I noticed what he did or else one of the power amps would have been fried and I would not have my old reliable 800RB.

8. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Low hanging fruit describes GC perfectly. Target customer, merchandise stock, employees that will work for the preferred compensation, etc, it's all the low hanging fruit they go for. The low cost, high volume, low service business model is always going to take beatings from consumers, it doesn't matter what business they're in. I think they realize that one and two star reviews with internet rage is just part of the business model. They accept it, and give out 15% off because they know people will bitch all the way to the register.

There really should be a sticky at the top that states "the membership is aware of ongoing service issues at GC. Post your complaints here."

I use them sometimes, but I'm aware of what I may encounter in there and adjust my expectations accordingly.

9. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    GC is no better, and no worse, than most of the retail specialty stores. Most music stores with good help and good quality gear could not stay in business, since people went there to demo gear, and then bought on line to save a few pennies. If better service and stock could be profitable, more stores would stay in business. Take a look at what happened to the music stores in NYC - there used to be a full block of great stores. They are ALL gone. What is the huge store in NYC still in business? GC.

Stop blaming them for what the internet (and our shopping habits) caused.

10. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Gotta love the internet. You basically repeat what I said back to me and then give me a mini lecture about blame at the end. I don't recall blaming anyone for anything. GC's business model is to cater to novice and entry level players using a part time, high turnover work force. They do this on purpose, and they know the high end, pro musician business is not there anymore.

Yep, that's what I just said before.

1954bassman likes this.
  11. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Sorry if I misread you - what you wrote is part of the rant I see here daily blaming GC for the issue.

meteor and Chico Ruger like this.
  12. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    No worries, after I just re read my response, it was too confrontational. I should've just explained what I meant.

meteor and Chico Ruger like this.
  13. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    Im self employed, i have owned a small business for 32 years. When i go to make a purchase of any kind i always try the local small business first. If the local small co. cant accommodate me, then i go to the big corp. I am very careful with what i have purchased at gc, and happy the the overall experience.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  14. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    GC is what it is. Capitalism in motion. They've given me a place to try new (albeit not super high quality) things for free. I've gotten a lot of used gear from them, which I have sold for a profit a few times after 2 years use. Glad I don't work there. Must be the worst.

Their used marketplace is where it's at. If you know or are willing to learn how to do a basic setup on a bass, you can use it for that. Their used pedals are what they say they are, no hiding. My first bass was a used MM Sterling Ray34 from GC. I think I paid $250, which I think is a very fair price for that bass. The preamp went completely out after a week. They replaced it free. Did take a few weeks. But I got a lot out of that bass, and still bring it to gigs as backup or if Beer Claypool asks to jam. GC is alright. The dictionary definition of YMMV.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  15. Same here.

Nothing's perfect, and that surely applies to GC, but on many occasions those guys have bent over backwards and contorted themselves into pretzel shapes to make me happy and keep me coming back. Any relatively infrequent shortcoming has been more than made up for.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  16. I too have only had good experiences while dealing with GC and not just my local store, but others in other states.

Aqualung60 and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    My expectations for GC are very low. I'm never disappointed. They are what they are.

red_rhino likes this.
  18. I clicked on this thread thinking it was about playing I/IV. Seriously

19. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I've only had good experiences - bought a lot of gear in my local store and also used basses online. I've taken advantage of the liberal return policy when a bass wasn't for me and they never gave me any grief at all. That's a huge deal to me because I can shop all over the country without concerns that I might get stuck with something that wasn't as I hoped.

The other local store that is GC's competition has more high end stuff, but will never let you return anything except for store credit. That alone is enough to scare me away because I need to hear what a bass sounds like in a band setting before I know if it's right for me.

20. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Every GC has a couple of very solid reps. And let's face it, the policies are very customer friendly, their prices are competitive, and they have an excellent assortment of stuff.

All that being said, the average rep is pretty terrible and typically doesn't know a ton about gear. They also cycle through these kinds of reps quite regularly.

I'm alright with that, though. The other day, I asked a guitar/bass rep if they had any short scale basses available. They knew the Ibanez Mikro was short scale, but outside of that had no idea. They had two more options including the Mustang P/J, a Bronco, and when I asked her about the Talman TB30 which is due in by the end of the month according to GC's website, she looked at me like I had 3 heads.