1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basic amp/cabinet hookup question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jaywa, Sep 5, 2008.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I went to the FAQ but all the math made my head hurt...

Very simply, I have a 400-watt head (into 4 ohms) with two speaker outputs, and two 8-ohm cabs (Hartke 410s). Is it better to feed each cabinet from one of the outputs, or daisy chain both cabs from one output?

Thanks in advance.

2. chuffinator

chuffinator Banned

May 29, 2008
    Austin Texas
    I would daisy chain them. That way the cabs will be running at 4 ohms. I have the same setup and I made the mistake of connecting each cab into the two speaker outputs at a gig. My amp shut off after the first song.

3. I don't know if one way over the other is better, but you end up with the same result, maximum 400w into 4ohms.

Personally, I use one output per cab.

4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    If your head has two speaker outputs, it is best to run the cabinets from those, not daisy-chaining them together. This ensures maximum power/signal transfer from the head, and also ensures that you're getting true 4 ohm power from it. 2 8-ohm cabs equal 4 ohms total output, so you're getting the most out of the head for sure.

5. I gotta ask: is this a mono amp with a pair of parallel outputs, or a stereo amp?

If 1/4" phone plugs, and or very thin wire, definitely go two cables from the amp.

With Speakons, and half decent wire, there will be no difference.

For a PA setup, with a 30 foot run to a speaker stack, I'd run heavy gauge wire, and daisy chain the cabs, just to keep the stage neat.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Amp is an SWR WorkingPro 400, mono with a pair of speaker outlets.

7. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Yeah, I'd say definitely run one speaker cable to each cab from the head. Remember, in the case of speakers/cabs, the shorter the cable the better, and at least you know the signal is coming directly in from the head to both cabs. I feel it works better this way for your basic amp/cab setups. YMMV.