Basic Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODELL, Sep 12, 2002.

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Could any one tell me if this would work? I have a bass combo with 1 15" that I use to play out at small clubs (Genz Benz). I also have a very small 16 watt 8" speaker practice amp with a 1/4" line out on the back. (not a speaker out) I really love the warm tone of this kustom. Could I plug my passive Jazz bass into the practice amp and run a line out into the Genz Benz? If so, what input should I use on the Genz Benz, active or passive? Also, is there a special shielded cable I would need to use. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Of course it's possible.

Just run an instrument cable from the line-out to the active input of the Genz-Benz.

But I doubt the warm sound character of the Kustom will be passed on to the Genz-Benz this way...
  3. I tried to do this with my BXR25 into a Trace Elliott in an attempt to warm up the trace. But what Joris referred to happened.

The problem is that the BXR preamp is voiced to work with the BXR. Throught the Trace it sounded appallingly bassy.

Best way to "warm up" an amp is through some kind of external preamp. Sadowsky or Sansamp.
  4. I doubt you're going to hurt anything, so give it a try.

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The reason I thought it might work is b/c the Genz Benz barely effects the natural sound of my bass at all. It simply has a 4 band eq and the bass sounds almost the same played acoustically. As soon as I have both amps at our practice space I.m going to try using the small Kustom as a pre-amp just to see what it sounds like.

Thanks for the reply!!!