basic amp questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by taoist, Jan 1, 2003.

1. taoist

Dec 23, 2002
    mcallen tx
    The setting on my amp (15w) is about as important as playing a tuned bass, so far as I can tell.
    I know **** about the amp, so here goes:

1) whats "treble"?
    2) whats "middle"?
    3) whats "bass"?
    4) whats "presence"?
    5) what settings should I keep it at?
    6) do bass and trable need to be at equal settings?
    7) is it ok that I keep middle completely off and presence nearly off?
    8) I like to keep my treble at about twice the setting of bass. is this ok? what are the results.
    9) aparantly, after reading through some threads, its possible to destroy your amp. how do I keep from doing this?
    10) Any tips and 'must knows' youd like to share?

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    treble is your higher frequencies, bass is your lower frequencies, mids are between them. exactly whicj frequencies depends on the amp...

how you set it depends on the sound you are looking for. it doesn';t matter how much of one or the other you have in comparison to the others. its all a matter of personal preference, but be careful with too much bass as it may blow out your speaker...

presence is the amount of volume your EQ (bass, mid, high) will have this is also called gain on other amps. this will give more volume to your sound with a deeper, more affected sound. keeping the mids off will give you a "hollow" slap tone, especially with the treble set higher. this will also make it harder for you to be heard in the presence of an amplified guitar.

by running the amp too hard (lows and low mids set too high) with high volume and gain (presence) can destroy your speaker and the amp if done improperly...

the only "must know" i have for you is how to use the search feature. that is how you can find the vast wealth of knowlledge available to you here at talkbass... ;)
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    In my experience, presence has usually been higher frequencies than trebble, not gain.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i could be wrong. i had an old fernandes keyboard amp and the presence was the gain...
  5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Usually a presence control is for the upper-mid "attack" sound.
  6. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    your not gonna destroy much with 15w... unless you run some sort of bass with some active pre-amp built in... then your screwed...