basic bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by goodsonn, Apr 16, 2001.

1. goodsonn

Apr 16, 2001
    Just started playing 2 months ago thought this would be good way to get advice from different bassist to help get things going. I got the roots just looking for ways of adding on to it.
  2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    yeah! welcome!!
    yes it´s a GREAT idea to come here an learn something new... you better hang around the Technique, Setup, and General Instruction forums.

keep Groovin´!
  3. Hary

Hary Guest

Sep 19, 2000
    Hungary, Veszprém
    I've been member for a quite long time now. It's just a pity that I can only write twice or three times a month. But I've learned enough here. Welcome!
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think you'll find you came to a good place, goodsonn.

As for "adding on to it," I suggest you look for Jeff Berlin's forum on Talkbass and think about asking him. He own's the Players School in Florida and is an expert on helping bassists progress (and he is a monster bassist!).
  5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Welcome to Talk Bass...Youll get more hits on your thread in general instruction or Im moving it to one of those.
  6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Without knowing what style of music you play, I'd just say for starters, add the fifth interval of the chord and the octave. Just for starters and with knowing nothing more, such as if the chord demands a flat five, for example.

So try that out ( at home) on your standard chord progression you play and see how that adds some interest to your bass line, just for the simplest way to change up from a root only approach.

After that, throw in a third or a minor third if the chord is minor. See what that does to your bass line. Just progress in easy steps like that and soon your bass lines will be more exciting than a root only sound.

After that throw in a seventh or a flat seventh depending on the chord and if the chord is a seventh chord.

Question you know how to find the fifth, third, minor third and octave of the chord you are playing?