Basic Effects Help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sephiroth, May 10, 2003.

1. I've been playing bass on and off for almost two years, I havn't really had any lessons, and have just taught myself various things. I'm looking to try and expand the way I play through an effects pedal of some sort, but I have no idea what kind to buy...can anyone offer me any help as to the cheapest pedal which will let me play around with some interesting sounds, any other advice or information would be much welcomed. Thanks
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Before someone else jumps in perhaps I could give the advice to not buy effects pedals before you have an idea of what you are looking for. Is there perhaps a certain music style you are interested in, have you noticed some particular bass player that seems to have a unique sound you 'd like to emulate, etc...? Unless you have some idea I think perhaps you should rather get some lessons and discuss what you could go for with the teacher. Otherwise you'll just spend money without really gaining that much.

If you still want to experiment, perhaps you could buy a lower priced multieffects unit and see what of the included effects and effects programs you like.

You can also "testdrive" some effects online on various web sites, the only one I remember offhand is the Boss one at (go to "Interactive", "Compact pedal demo")

Edit: There's also a bunch of samples in the effects pedal section of the EBS web site (
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think playing with effects is a great way to open your ears to new sounds, and may inspire you to play new ideas you never would have come up with without them. Effects can actually be an instrument if you allow them to be. That being said, think about what you are trying to accomplish. Become a bass player that uses some effects? Or an effects player that uses a bass to control them? Both are cool and equally valid, just make sure you don't distract yourself from your real goals.

If you want a good introduction into bass effects, check out the Digitech BP50. Cheap, small, lots of effects. Not a bad deal.