Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basic EQing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Insighted02, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Hello TBers,

I recently got a behringer Ultra Curve Pro BSP8024 electronic EQ for my rack. Check it out: http://www.behringer.com/02_products/prodindex.cfm?id=DSP8024&lang=eng

Now I'm a guy that usually just went with the suggested settings on my stuff. But now I have a 31 band graphic EQ to mess with. I know very little when messing with this subject.

I was wondering if anybody had any general rules to use when I'm EQing. I usually go the rock/metal route in terms of sound. I just need some place to start off from. Give me some rules of thumb. please.

thanks, (and thank you for the correction Bonafide)

-insighted

2. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Hey Insighted,
    Actually you have 31 bands of GRAPHIC eq and 3 bands of parametric.

It reality, the Ultra curve isn't a very effective EQ. It's primary function (Which it really does well) Is a Frequency Analyzer.

The reason it is so difficult to use is because every feature is buried in sub menus.
    The plus side is you can save a bunch of EQ settings for different sounds.
    If you can take it back and get yourself either a 3-5 band parametric or a 'hardware' 31 band graphic with physical faders etc you will be in a much better situation.

For the "LOW" end of your sound (Depending on the frequency range of your cab) you can focus on 30HZ-80HZ, Mid Low 80HZ-150HZ, Mids 150HZ-500HZ, High Mids 500-900HZ , Highs 900HZ-20Khz

With 31 bands you have alot of flexibility. That is just a 'general' guideline'.

With the Frequency analyzer, you can take samples of your favorite bass tones and run them through your Ultra Curve and see precisely the frequencies that are prominent. It would only work if you could isolate the bass from the rest of the mix.

Good luck.