Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

basic equalizing

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dimplebutt, Apr 6, 2004.

1. dimplebutt

dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    LA
    i'm not sure where i should post this so mods please move as deemed appropriate.

here's my basic question. A lot of the time when i'm warming up for a gig i try to find the tone that i want. Everyday it's a little bit different.

The problem is that i could sit there for a lot longer than i would want trying to find that sounds. i was wondering if you guys can give me some basic tips on what to do.

for example:

if i wanted a more warmer tone should i add more mid/low/treble?
    if i wanted a more suitable tone for funk what should i have in the EQ.

basically i'm looking for standard eq methods that fit the adjectives.

like clarity should have more treble.
    if i wanted to really cut through the mix should i have a lot of mids?

i apologize ahead of time for the ambiguity but any direction or words of advice would be grealty appreciated.
    :hyper:

2. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Here's some basic EQ ideas to consider...

To really "cut through" in a mix (for example, above raging Marshall stacks), try boosting in the 500 HZ range. Assuming you have the power on hand, this should make your bass really stand out. On its own it might sound kind of ugly/clanky, but once you throw it in with guitars, vocals and a drumset it will come together quite nicely.

For a big fat solid slap sound that will really sound awesome in a funk/jazz setting, try cutting these frequencies and boosting the lows and highs (your basic smiley face EQ setting). The tradeoff - your fingerstyle might sound less defined.

If you want to get that groovy Jaco-esque fretless mwwwaaahhh sound, try boosting at about 950 Hz and cutting your lows and highs. Mmmmm tasty!

Keep in mind that certain factors like your bass and amp systems will impact the sound and settings as well. Also, parametric EQ's work differently from a graphic EQ in that you can be much more precise in what frequency is boosted or cut, but they can be harder to visualize in terms of how they are working.

Good luck and don't be afraid to experiment!!!

Lonnybass
    www.theparamours.com

Lonny "Bass" White endorses M.V. Pedulla Basses.

3. dimplebutt

dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    LA
    thanks i appreciate.. sorry i'm really too tech savvy.. i just love the groove. i guess i should learn more about it. when you say frequency what do you mean? i have a yorkville 400 head with a swr 2x10 junior goliath.. i don't have a graphic EQ but a parametric EQ so any help would be great on that.. i use the settings that are recommended in the manual all the time.. but sometimes i want it warmer, brighter, distinct or less.. i just don't know what freq i should change.

thanks again

4. well, lonnybass put it the best, with the exact frequency to cut and boost, but if you only have a three band (i think the yorkville has a 5 band eq?) you would play with the mids. boost them to cut through, cut them to have an awesome slap tone. i don't know about the jaco tone with the 950 hz, because i've never tried that one, but if you solo the bridge pickup (and add a little bass on the amp?) you should be able to get a good jaco tone.
    But i completly agree with lonnybass when he says experiment. that will be the best way to really find the right tone. and don't forget to play with the controls on the bass as well, they will really help you make the tone warmer, punchier, or deeper.

Charlie