Basic Information on Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Z_Bass, May 12, 2003.

1. Z_Bass

May 9, 2003
    Frankly I don't know a thing about strings, so I have a couple of questions to ask regarding my next string purchase.

#1. Roundwounds, Flatwounds, Halfwounds. I know the basics of what they are (except for halfwounds, but I don't see too many people mention it anyway). I'd like to know which of these would sound best for me; I play on a Fender Jazz, usually alternative music that's not too hard/loud nor too soft/slow (think Nirvana unplugged-ish), fingerstyle, not a slapper.

#2. I hear Fender strings are crap, and I have stock Fender strings right now. Then what are some good strings out there that you would recommend? DR's, Ernie Ball's? Dean Markley's?

#3. Gauges. How does thickness affect the sound?

#4. Does Stainless Steel really chew up your fret board and fingers?

I would appreciate some feedback, Thanks.
  2. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    2. i like the fender flatwound strings and their superbass strings, not that durable but not really a bad string. strings i'd recommend though are: DR and Ernie Ball super Slinky's.

3. i've never really noticed a huge difference in sound maybe a little thunkier with a bigger gauge string. they do make a world of difference with tension though, especially for weird tunings or scale lengths.

4. i've had no problems with any kind of string. ive always used stainless, and even on the new defretted/urethane fingerboard theres no wear (2 weeks old though).
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    look at this pic...

( then buy Thomastik-Infeld :rolleyes::p )
  4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    #4. Does Stainless Steel really chew up your fret board and fingers?

Actually SS strings are toughest on the frets. I've found SS strings to be a bit zingyer than Nickel roundwounds. Which I prefer. If your looking for a modern sound, I'd go with round wounds if your looking for old school then go for flat or half wounds. Recently Ive been using DR highbeams and Labella Hard Rockin steels. The DRs are 50 to 115s and sound fantastic with my Yamaha P bass copy that has a SPB2 SD pickup. At first they were a little rough on my fingers but after a couple of gigs my fingers have no problems with them now. I do like the higher tension also. YMMV
  5. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I would suggest D'addario Medium Lights. (EXL170) to me they give a good bang for the buck (only $16 cheaper if you buy em in 2packs!), personally I love em and use em on both my basses, but I do mean to try out some of the more expensive brands sometime in the future.
    Once I went to play with Medium-Lights I found my sound... but of course what might work for me might not work for you.