Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basic Maintenance

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jiro, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    So my strings were dirty, really dirty... so i bought some new ones and then i took off all my strings to put new ones on... Then I reallized the bass was kind of dirty so i wanted to wipe it down. I took the cloth and wiped it but the finger prints, sweat and crap on it didnt come off... What should I do to clean it? what do you use? I was going to use mild dish soap but I decided not to because my senses tell me that this might be the wrong idea.

2. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    plus there is rust on the bridge. should i take this off and dip it in... I dunno CLR?

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    First, What kind of bass is it?
    Second, What kind of finish?

4. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    1976 P-bass Black on black

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I would use mild soap and water in small amounts. Dry completely afterword. If this worries you a music store will sell guitar specific polish.

6. It depends on how bad the rust is, you might be able to gently sand most of it off... But I might go as far as getting the bridge replaced if the rust bothers you that much. I'm no restoration expert, so you might want to hold off and get some professional advice before you do anything.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  8. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I'll use a little dish soap in a few cups of water, and a few soft towels. Use one wet, and one dry. If the bass is really grungy I will take disassemble as needed (neck, bridge, pickguard/control plate), clean, polish, and put it back together. I would not do much to the rusty bridge. If you really hate it, replace it and keep the original. if it is rusty it has lost a lot of plating, and it will just rust again. You could wire brush it, buff it, and give it some protectant, and it would stay rust free for a while.

Some folks like to keep the crud buildup on the neck because Jamerson's bass was all cruddy. So go that way if you want. Otherwise take an old toothbrush, a little detergent, and some paper towels and clean the board, nut, headstock...

When you are done you are all ready for 30 more years of grime accumulation!