Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basic Pickup Guide?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by woot, Mar 28, 2003.

1. woot

woot

Nov 16, 2002
    I was wondering if anyone could direct me to some information on how what all this terminology and parts names about pickups (active and passive) such as ''pre amps, pots, switches, etc.." mean. I plan on upgrading my bass, and I am reading all these ads in the classified section and scratching my head, and embarassed because everyone seems to know what they are talking about.
    Your help would be appreciated, thanks a lot!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

3. woot

woot

Nov 16, 2002
    Thanks, but I guess I was looking for something with the same level of technicality but covers the difference between active and passive pickups and their component parts. I've tried searches on the forums here and they've helped but they are still a bit too high level for me, as I don't know the actual parts of active pickups and how they work with a bass. Thanks again!

4. CS Bass

CS Bass

Feb 18, 2003
    Passive Pickups And Passive EQ
    - This is simply a combination of a pickup and usually a tone control.

Active Pickups and Active EQ
    - Active Pickups have some type of amplification onboard the pickup. Require batteries to operate.
    - Active EQ can boost and cut certain frequencies using low/high pass filters and amplification. Requires batteries.

I think this is correct, tell me if I'm wrong someone. :)