Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basic Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EmbraceThePengu, Jan 22, 2004.

1. EmbraceThePengu

EmbraceThePengu

Jan 18, 2004
    Hello all again :)

I have a pretty basic question for most of you, but it's something that has been on my mind for a while.

What is the difference between a P bass, J bass, and some of the others out there. What are they and how do they differ from one another.

This is something that I should have asked my music instructor when I was in school (back in the Stone age :D), but I never did.

Thanks

Joe

2. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Hi Joe, welcome to TB!

This is more of a bass question, so off to basses! :)

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    To answer the "whats the difference..." question, do a search in this forum. You'll find the answer quite easily. Sound wise, the p bass is more punchy and thumpy, while the jazz bass is more trebly and growly.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Also be sure to check out the "Newbie FAQ" that's linked in my signature. ;)

5. EmbraceThePengu

EmbraceThePengu

Jan 18, 2004
    Awesome... Thanks for the replies and the references :)

Much Appreceated!!!

Joe

6. In general, the P bass is known for a wider or chunkier neck and has one single coil pickup, which is close to the neck, giving a more chunkie, thumpy sound.

The Jazz Bass has two single coil pickups, one next to the bridge and one up close to the neck, these pickups are brighter and the neck is thinner.

There is a thread here about P and J basses. Check it out.

P or J......which one?

[​IMG]
    Treena