Basic sampling setup in a live situation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by odie, Feb 6, 2002.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well the band I'm in has talked about using samples in our live shows. Just noises ,sound effects etc. We plan on manually trigggering them, but dont have an idea how to do to create a setup to do this.

We're basically your basic heavy rock/funk band looking for something to spice things up alittle.
  2. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Who's going to be triggering the samples? Will you have a dedicated keyboard/sampling member?

Do you already have a sampler? There are tons of cool and inexpensive models around now... and even more if you buy used...
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well actually more than likely it will be me doing the triggering. So we wont have a dedicated person, it will have to be something fairly simple for me to load up/ set up right before a song starts.

We dont have a sampler and none of us has had any experiences with these.

Give me some ideas of what would be some good models to start with(and not Cindy Crawford!!).

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What's wrong with Cindy Crawford?
  5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Nothing at all!! I could just see some mentioning a paticular "model".

Mmmmm Cindy !!!
  6. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    There are a number of "desktop" style boxes out there that might be good for throwing small samples into a song.

At the lower end of the price range, you have things like the Boss SP-303 and SP-505 or the Yamaha SU200 and SU700. At the higher end are the Roland SP-808 and Akai MPC series.

All of these models have soft buttons instead of keyboards to trigger sounds. You could also attach some sort of MIDI floorboard to trigger the sounds, I guess.

Another option (much more pricey) would be to go for a full-blown rackmount sampler like an E-Mu E-series or the Akai S- or Z- series. But I think for what you describe, the desktop boxes would be ideal, since it doesn't sound like sampling will be a major part of your sound.
  7. odie

odie Supporting Member

So has anyone actually played with one of these??

Also are these typically available used??
  8. My band has been messing around with the same kind of thing lately, since we're a cover band (blech), and there's some intros and parts of songs we can't reproduce with our instruments (although I'm a purist, and it bothers me that we're resorting to this).

I'm not sure of the brand of sampler we're using (it's the drummers gear), but they set it up where some of the sounds are triggered by the keyboard player from one of his keyboards, and some by the drummer from an electronic pad. I guess whatever you have that can send a signal that doesn't get in the way or interfere with your playing the song will work. Guess it depends on what you're doing with it and when. The hard part is keeping it in synch, since that's where the human element comes in, at least for us, anyway. I can check it out tonight at practice, and find out what brand he's using, if that helps.
  9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yeah that would be cool, we probably wont use a sequencer just hit a button when we need it.

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

So has anyone here actually have any hands on use of any of these things???
    And can you trigger these things remotely from a pedal etc ?
    Also Dan did you find out what your drummer is using??
  11. Oops, yes, sorry. He's got an Akai, It might be the MPC model that Oddentity mentioned. From what he's told me about his, he's had it for a while, so it's not the top-of-the-line anymore. It seems pretty versatile for our purposes. He downloads samples onto a floppy disk, and runs that same disk from the sampler to program the keyboard and drum pads to play them (pretty sure they're MP3 files). Don't know the specs or anything, I'm kind of a doofus when it comes to technical stuff. If there's more specific things you need to know, I could try to find out. If a drumpad and keyboard work, there's probably a pedal switch or something similar that could trigger this sampler too.
  12. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I've got a Roland S-760 and a Roland PK-5 and I can do exactly what you're describing. I think any of the sampler models Oddentity mentioned could do this as well. The S-760 is a discontinued model that's price varies, I've seen it go for $1,500+ and I got mine for $685 (shipped from Australia to America.)

What I do is sample in whatever sound I want assign it to a certain note (C4, D3, etc.) and whenever I hit that note I hear whatever sound I sampled. I'm more of a computer guy so I'm going to start editing my samples in my Mac, then transferring them by SCSI to my sampler. Live I plan on using my bandmate's Roland Fantom's sequencer to play my sampler while I control the Fantom with the PK-5. By the way, there are MANY other brands aside from Roland, it's odd that we ended up getting alot Roland stuff without even talking about it. So, yes, you can control a sampler with a pedal as long as the sampler has MIDI in and the pedal has MIDI out. You could also get a small MIDI controller keyboard, but I figure you'll want to use your feet so check out the Roland PK-5 and Fatar also makes some similar models.

This is all available used. Check eBay often, that's where I got my sampler and pedal. Some items to check out, Akai's MPC series, E-mu ESI-2000, Roland S-760, and Yamaha A4000.

Here's a link that might aid you in your search: