Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basic Setup (I'm poor)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SLiGhTLy_STooPiD, Oct 29, 2000.

1. Taking into consideratioin that I'm 14 years old and without a job, what would I need for playing for a crowd of say, 200? I have a Crate BX15 right now, and that's barely enough when i'm practicing with my band (punk, ska, emo-ish stuff).
    Our geetar player has a 30 watt. So what would I need what how much power? IE: heads, cabs, etc.

2. The standard rule is usually 2 to 3 times the guitar power, so 100 Watts to 200 Watts would probably do with big cabinets.

Chris

3. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    the ultimate poor boy's punk bass amp: Peavey TNT 115. 150watts through a 15" speaker. I played this for many punk shows and it doesn't sound like an Eden or SWR but it gets the job done. This will be almost overkill to your guitarist rig! The go used for about $200.

4. Borderline

Borderline

Oct 30, 2000
    I definatly have to second the Peavey TNT 115 suggestion. I picked one up used for about $225, and it treated me very well. It had a decent tone for the price, and was loud enough to do a fairly respectable job of annoying both the neighbors and the guitarist. This poor boy punk almost didn't want to trade his in when he had the funds to get something better. :cool:

5. GeorgeR

GeorgeR

Nov 5, 2000
    Don't forget to check out the second hand stores and flea markets. Sometimes you'll actually get a good deal on second-hand stuff, and minor repairs are easy to do.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I will be the third to say Peavey TNT 115. I bought a used one about 8 yrs ago for about $175 - almost traded it in a couple of times for something more modern, but nothing came close to cutting like this amp does. I play in a loud punk edge band, a cover band, and some other projects and it's always done the trick. True, some amps sound better, but for the money I don't think this amp can be beat.