basic setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stuie86, Dec 10, 2003.

1. stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    ok i havn't been here in awhile so hi kids hows it going. ok ive done about 7 searchs before i just desided to post it myself.

ive only ever used combo amps.... and ive got no need for anything bigger for a long time, but its just been rolling around in my head for days.

this is what i think is in a basic set up.

bass to EQ,
    EQ to amp,
    amp to speaker,
    speaker in cab,
    .... witch is just a holder for the speaker.

ok thats one, now two if thats not loud enough for the venue then i should mic my speaker and run it thro the PA and out to the room.

i do realize this are all very basic questoins
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    This is all i cant really tell you with out confusing myself

bass->input on amp-> pre-amp-> EQ-> other effects-> cab (speakers)

This picture may be confusing, but it has helped me.

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Generally, I find that a DI from an amp or a dedicated box works better than a mic. Most dymanic mics, don't pick up frequencies below 50Hz. A kick drum mic would probably be better, but then some highs will be lost. Also, mics suffer from bleed from other instruments, like the too loud guitar player next to you.
    Many bass speaker cabs are long throw speakers, which means that the sound of the cab could seem louder or sound better 6 ft away, than 6 inches away. Putting a mic up to the cab, might not be the best way to get the full sound of the cab.
  4. stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    ok.... what is a pre-amp? what is a signal processor?, is a power amp and a amp the same thing or something diffrent?

"bass->input on amp-> pre-amp-> EQ-> other effects-> cab (speakers)" this would have made sence but "input on amp-> pre-amp->" sounds contrdictory(CS)

and to the second post. well i knew that it wouldn't sound right. and myself i wouldn't do it. but it is an optoin and i was just trying to understand it. but thanks for your thoughts on how to do it right if i had to resort to such a thing
  5. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    This is my understanding of what a pre-amp is:
    A pre amp is what actually amplifies the sound, or, to speak more professionally, the signal. The power amp lets you choose how much power you can put into your rig

Thats my understanding of what they are, and im pretty sure im wrong :)
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    A preamp takes the relatively low signal from the instrument and boosts it up a bit. The reason for putting this at the start of the amplifying stages is that if you perform too many manipulations on a weak signal, it ends up being lost among the noise. Preamps may also add a certain amount of tonal colouration and there's also the factor of amplifying the signal too much so that it exceeds the handling capacity of the circuit and starts to 'clip' (when amps have active and passive inputs, I believe the active one normally slightly reduces the input signal before amplifying it to reduce the chance of overloading the preamp).

The power amp takes the signal that has been boosted by the preamp and shaped by any intermediate circuitry and makes it loud enough to drive the speakers. This will be a much greater level of gain and the preference is generally for this to be done as cleanly as possible (ie. without further colouring the sound).

kirbywrx's diagram was really useful in showing common configurations - the same signal path but different ways of grouping the modules together.

7. stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    ok both of your post help a whole lot. ill have to read them about 15 more times to remeber it. so i guess heres my last Q.... wouldn't i plug the bass into the pre-amp? cuase like i said "input on amp-> pre-amp-> sounds contrdictory(CS)"

oh.... or is he talking about the input on the pre-amp?!?!........ of thats what it was i got a handle on it now

:D :D :D
  8. What you have in your combo amp is a Pre-amplifier and a Power amplifier. You plug your bass into the Preamp, it boosts the bass signal and sends it to the power amplifier section of your combo. Then from the power amplifier to your speakers. The only difference between what you have and what you're thinking of getting is MORE BOXES.

A Bass Head is a combo amp without the speakers (plug into the preamp, signal goes to a power amp, they you plug the head into an external speaker cabinet)

A modular system is a separate preamp that you plug your bass into, then plug your preamp to an external power amp, then plug the power amp into an external speaker cabinet.

-- A signal processor is anything that effects the signal from your bass to the power amplifier. This could be an EQ, distortion, chorus, compression, delay, etcetera.

In the simplest form, it goes: Bass---preamplifier---power amplifier---speakers.
  9. stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    once again. thank you all for the help