1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Basic string help - so many types!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pure.Fusion, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

Dec 12, 2010
    Hi all.

Relatively new to bass. With regards to strings, guitar is so much simplier! Choose a brand, whack 'em on.

For bass, I'm swimming in a sea of choices here - but none of which seem to suit. Maybe you guys can help. I'll just list the requirements yeah?

-> 35" scale Tapered string (Ibanez BTB676. The bridge expects a "thin" string as it passes over the saddle)

-> Standard gauge 45,65,85,105 with heavier ends (130 B-string and a 35 C )

-> Nickel strings with round core (not hex core)

I'm beginning to think that I just can't buy this in a single package.

I play finger style and jazz oriented music. I was advisd that nickel and round what was I wanted (as opposed to hex and stainless steel)

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
    FM

2. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Try some DR Sunbeams. I don't think the C will be quite as fat as you're looking for (.030), but you'll only be out around $34 if you absolutely hate them. I've never known anybody that absolutely hates them.

3. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Fodera. They should have something that fits that almost exactly.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    +1 for Bass Strings Online, really no reason to buy elsewhere.

If you HAVE to have a round core nickel wound, you're going to be very limited. DR Sunbeams and Fodera are the most popular round core nickel strings, and DR's are not tapered...so that leaves pretty much Fodera as your only choice.

Are you sure you didn't mean roundwound instead of round core?
    Why exactly do you want a round core?
    What strings did you have before? I really doubt they were round core.
    Do you want all the strings tapered, or just the heavier ones?

But if you do want round core, Fodera is the only nickel wound, round core string packaged in the gauges you want, just as tylerwylie linked to above. You'll need the XL length probably.

5. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

Dec 12, 2010
    Yep. These were the first strings I bought for my bass, only a few months back. Non tapered, which forced me to changet the saddle height for the thick strings ('cause they sit higher). But, with this came less sustain? I dunno.

Anyway, DRs are fine with me, but as for Nickel, 35", tapered, round core in a 6 string - don't exist :(

.. thus this post.

Cheers.
    FM

6. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

Dec 12, 2010
  7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    If you go with Fodera you won't need Extra Long as their strings are 38" from Ball End to first taper...

If you went with D'Addario for example, you would need to buy an Extra Long 4 string set and an Extra Long Tapered single B string.

But if you are looking for Round core w/ Tapered B, the Fodera set is pretty much the only way to go...

8. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

Dec 12, 2010
    Doh. I just looked. Fedore only has the B tapered. I'd be needing more than a tapered B. So Fedora not the go for my bridge? Not if I expect the strings to sit in the saddles, which I assume it needs to.

MMBongo, "If you HAVE to have a round core nickel wound".

Well, I dunno. I was advised that for finger style, the non-hex core was the way to go and that Nickel is kinder i the long term to my frets.

Strings supplied withi my bass? Dunno. I assume whatever Ibanez factory supplies. Yes, all the large diameter strings were tapered to fit in the saddle. (B,E,A , maybe D (can't remember)).

Cool, so it already sounds like my goal is in the too-hard basket. So, *Hex* - nickel - taper 6 string set might gimme more options?

RE: Hex core. I was told that Hex core made the string stiffer, like it was a larger guage. At the point in time, I certainly don't need any more strain on my fretting hand which is still coming up to strength at fretting low notes near the neck; reacfhing across 5 orther strings. This is why I was shopping Round core.

FM

9. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    In those specific gauges, you can do a Ken Smith Burner Taper Core set: .045 .065 .085T .105T .130T and buy a .035 single for the High C. This is a Hex core set though, but still very flexible.

SIT has a Taper Core set with tapered B E A strings, but in gauges .045 .065 .080 .100T .125T... You can purchase singles from SIT and put together a custom set...

Thats it for B E A tapered strings...

Hex core will just make the string not as flexible, but not all hex core strings are created equal.

There are literally 5 makers of round core strings and only one makes a tapered B string... (one other might but I don't think its tapered...) And again, just because a string has a round core doesn't mean its going to be more flexible than one with a hex... There is a lot more to the string than just the core.

10. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas

Just listen to this guy. Jason knows his stuff.

I've played plenty of hex core strings that were more flexible than many round core strings. It's all in the string design. You can always just simply go with a smaller gauge of strings as well, especially if your bass is 35" scale...which will give your strings more tension.

Sounds like that Smith set is right up your alley.

11. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Just listen to this guy. mmbongo knows his stuff!!!!!!!!

12. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

Dec 12, 2010
    Thanks you all for your help. Much appreciated.

While where are at this point in the conversation, it's probably a good time to ask about those Ibanez saddles. I'm assuming they designed this for a purpose? To accept a thinnner string at this point?

The guys at the shop dismissed this inquiry and said fat or thin over the saddle, makes no difference.

Any comments here?

I guess it's my nature to supply the right gear if something has been specifically designed, but if it makes insignificant difference, then I'll set the action to accept non tapered strings and move forward.

FM

13. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Looks like those saddles are designed for tapered strings. Part of the design of tapered strings is allowing them to bend easily over the saddle, and when you string through body like you will be doing, it's a severe bend that a non-tapered string might not be able to make.

Try those Smiths from Bass Strings Online. If it were ME? I would go with a 45-100 or 40-100 set but keep the .130 B. I like smaller gauges on 35" scale because of the added tension of the longer scale. But again, that's ME.

14. Pure.Fusion

Pure.Fusion

Dec 12, 2010
    Nope, I must have an older model of BTB 'cause the strings don't come up from the body and turn 90 degrees. They are more or less "straight"

But still the question, that fat string sitting over the small gap in the saddle designed for a thinner part of the string ... relevent to me, or ignore it?

I guess I could ask it another way. Are all the precticing musicians with these saddles going out of their way to supply tapered strings? Is it what "ya do"?

I know from my guitars that lower gauges make less tone and less sustain, on a subtle level. The 100-E jump to 130-B won't cause any notible change in tone or sustain?

Cheers,
    FM

15. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Considering you're new to bass, I don't think you should limit yourself to a certain type of string. The fact that you play finger style and jazz has little to do with string choice.

I'm using a .095 E-string on a bass with a 30" scale. A 105 for a 35" scale is overdoing it a bit, especially if you're new to bass. I recommend going down to 100 or 95. You won't lose sustain and you'll only lose a hint of brightness.

Funny thing is that everyone who is new to bass seems to gravitate toward the heavy gauges and assume they need their strings tight. Give some lighter strings a try and you may be surprised by your findings.