Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basic string muting question...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Abemas, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Abemas

Abemas

Dec 15, 2005
    Whats the most appropriate way to mute a string that is still ringing when changing strings...right hand or left hand? When moving from a lower string to a higher string I usually use my thumb (which seems to work well) but whats the correct way to do it when moving from a higher to a lower string?

Thanks!

2. DaemonBass

DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Well, there are basically two ways of muting the strings. First is by using your left hand to stop the string from vibrating. What you do is let the fleshy underside of your left hand fingers dampen (stop vibation on) the adjacent higher string while you are playing on the string above string. The second way is to use your plucking fingers to quickly dampen a string before moving on to the next string. For string skipping you can anchor your thumb on whatever lower pitched string you want to dampen. I'll bet everyone here uses a combination of both and it's just a matter of experimentation to get the sound desired.