Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basic string question! (Newbie needs HELP)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by punchybass, Jul 4, 2004.

1. I have been playing the bass for 2 years now. I really just play and study music and don't pay too much attention to p/ups, strings, etc. However, I now would like to get a new set of Rotosound Jazz Flats. My very basic question is when do you want to buy Long Scale, XL Scale, etc.

I play a 1980 Fender P-bass.

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

2. Get the extra long scale. Just because if there is extra, it's no big deal. But if you got some that were to short, you'd be kinda stuck.

That and the inline 4 headstock of the P makes the G really long.

So go for the extra lengths.

3. Thanks Kaz, I'll be sure to do that!!!
    I appreciate your help.

4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    The RS77LD set will work just fine. You don't need the
    extra long set. The LD set is 45-105, If you like a ligher
    guage, try the SM77, 40-100. if you like a heavier guage,
    try the LE set, 50-110. If you want Steve Harris' picture on
    the packet, try the SH77 set, they're also 50-110

Slug
    #1 Rotosound fan

5. Slug, since I see that your are the "Number 1 Rotosound fan", I will take your advice. (No offense Kaz). It at least seems it's not the end of the world if I get LS or XL scale.

Thanks again!!! :D

6. I love the Rotosound 77's but must ask you guys, how long do they last before they loose their sound (go sorta flat sounding)?
    Mine started about 2 weeks after having them.
    Gary :meh:

7. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Let your ear be the guide. You obviously know music and know what sounds good or bad. When they become difficult to tune and sound less alive, get new ones. If despirate for cleaner sound and have no new strings, you can remove them and deep clean them with cleaner or boiling. Strings become contaminated with daily use from finger oil, dirt etc. Good cleaning will do wonders and save tone, as well as $......