Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basic (stupid) questions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by taoist, Jan 2, 2003.

1. taoist

taoist

Dec 23, 2002
    mcallen tx
    I've been reading through past threads looking for good advice, but what do the roman numerals mean?

v, vi, iv, etc.... Ive seen them quite a bit never quite understood.

thanks for any help. I'll be sure to add any more questions to this thread so I dont clutter the forum.

2. these are the chords from the scale, that you've to play, or play something from that note's scale.

Ie - i = 1 - therefore you would (e.g C MAJ) play C

Hope that helps a bit - I'm sure others will understand and give a better explanation :)

3. taoist

taoist

Dec 23, 2002
    mcallen tx
    ok, another:

D-7 G7 Cmaj7

what do the '7's mean?? is that the octave the note is being played in? (d in 7th octave??)

4. I think what you say is right - I'm just a newbie :D

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Qutoe from Taoist:

I've been reading through past threads looking for good advice, but what do the roman numerals mean?

v, vi, iv, etc.... Ive seen them quite a bit never quite understood.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Using the C major scale as an example; starting from octave to ocatve C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C there are 8 notes.

C in this case is the i (one) note or chord.
    EX: Blues based music is usually built around a 1-4-5 pattern. Or C-F-G. Thus; i-iv-v

To your other question:

ok, another:

D-7 G7 Cmaj7

what do the '7's mean?? is that the octave the note is being played in? (d in 7th octave??)
    --------------------------------------------------

7's mean the 7th note of the major scale.
    Cmajor7 means to play the 7th note naturally. In a Cma7 chord (guitar ex) the sound is mellower, or mildly dissonant, Jazzy.

C7 is playing the 7th or B flatted (1/2 step to Bb) Also called Dominant. More bluesy, or Rock 'n' Roll sounding.

C-7 (note the dash) Usually means minor seven (dominant minor). C minor chord with the flatted 7. A minor being in this case the 3(E) note of the Cmaj scale flatted as well to Eb(or E-flat). making a dark moody kind of sound.

I am putting it poorly. However in General Instruction, it is laid out more concisely, and with more elaborate explanations than I am providing. So for more substance, check out a few past pages it General Ins. and your bound to find something.

6. P. Aaron

Mistook Octave for "Key"

7. taoist

taoist

Dec 23, 2002
    mcallen tx
    Thank you!
    All of your explanations really made me understand the meaning, and I feel as if my grasp over music theory is a bit firmer.

I'm not a particulary bright guy, and a bit of a pot-head, so I really need your guys' help on theory. I've read through Jazzbo's (who I'm particulary fond of for some odd reason... ;) ) lessons and I dont really understand, despite my countless times reading through. Or I just forget what I read... :rolleyes: :confused: :(

I SINCERELY appreciate your help, and I hope I can count on it in the future to deepen my understanding of the theory, instead of re-directing me to a lesson Ive read through many times already. (although, thats is nice too...cant read it too many times until I fully understand it, right?)

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    [​IMG]

9. taoist

taoist

Dec 23, 2002
    mcallen tx
    I was going to make a new thread for this, but I've made 3 (I think) threads today and I didnt want to be a real chatter-box.

I really very hate to be corny, even emotional, but jesus jazzbo that made me feel good. You know what man, I love you. every vibe I get from you is a good one, man. I use to go to alot of spiritual (zen and taoist) forums and I talked with alot of people, but only 2-3 of them really had their act together. When you're in the presence of a good and wise man you can feel it, and I feel it coming from you man. You're an inspiration.
    I was kind of fighting with myself about whether to say this or not, but it kind of ties in...
    I read it, felt all warm and cozy inside...and then started playing a bit of a bob marley tune I know. The music fit the emotion and both were instantly made greater. it was a subconscious thing, and it was a beautiful thing, and I hope I never forget it. A couple days ago I my ex told me she didnt have any feelings for me despite us being very intimate the day before...my heart broke and I started playing the blues, right there, almost instantly right after she told me she didnt love me.

This is a beautiful thing! I'm getting carried away, though...the purpose of this all is I wanted to ask for more "emotionally expressive" songs I could learn. for every emotion. I want to express be able to match every emotion with a bass-line...and eventually learn to imrpov. and create the bass-lines as I feel the emotion.

It was kind of hard for me to post this becuase I've always been kind of embarrased about expressing emotion, but I feel like I should really say it. seems like a big deal as its happening in my head as I type this. thanks............

10. P. Aaron

Quote Taoist:
    I'm not a particulary bright guy, and a bit of a pot-head, so I really need your guys' help on theory.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Learn a few simple rules related to Bass Playing and theory, and with music you will go places that POT will never take you.

11. taoist

taoist

Dec 23, 2002
    mcallen tx
    uh whats with all the comments on my marijuana usage?
    if you feel like you want to give me advice keep it in the right thread man...
    But thanks ed, will do. off to go jam with a drummer... :cool: